Need help with Pea dilema

GardenGirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I was wondering when it is considered too late to plant garden peas and snap peas for the spring. I live in zone 5A and normally have the seeds in the ground last week in March/1st week in April. This year, we didn't get the garden tilled until recently because of all the rain/work and I was also worried about my garden while I am away next week. I don't know if I trust my friend to water regularly, so, is it too late? I was thinking of planting them tomorrow and putting hay over them to keep them moist and my father will water them on the day he comes up to check on the house Tuesday. We will be back May 17th. I don't think they will germinate before then, but I am afraid of the plants bolting (sp?) when the heat of summer hits.

Thanks for any advice. :)

edited for spelling.

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Usually when I have a dilema like that I will just go ahead and plant, maybe with lowered expectations, but as long as you have the seeds you may as well try.

We have been having a cooler than normal spring where I live, so although my peas came up and grew a bit, they have just stopped growing for a few weeks now. :/

GardenGirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
That's what I was thinking. I would hold half for the fall planting to try to salvage atleast part of the season. It has been a miserable spring here and I was kinda afraid of the seeds just rotting in the ground anyway. I just didn't want to lose another week while we were away, but if it was totaly futile, I would wait till the fall.

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Plant them, they'll be fine. I know it'll get warm, but you'll still get a good harvest. I love fresh peas, I love them more than I love fresh corn, because the season is so short.

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi there!:frow

I would put the peas in a big bowl of water & stands it near a window. They must be totally covered with the water & with clear plastic over the top. Leave them like that till you get back; then plant them, they will come up incredibly fast & do much better.

I do this with both peas & beans & was taught this trick by my grandfather 60 years ago. If your father comes over while you are away get him to change the water -- it can get a bit claggy & smelly otherwise . :old :D

Happy Sowing & Planting :tools

:rose Hattie :rose

jlmann

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I agree with what everyone else has suggested but I wanted to put my two cents in. Do you have a spot in the garden that gets evening shade? That will be the biggest challenge for your peas- heat. If you could plant them somewhere that was shaded during the hottest part of the day they might do ok , but would require more watering than normal as they approached maturity. I would just plant them and see how they do. Good luck!

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Following up on what Jlmann posted, you could possibly put up a lattice to shade them, put them in the shade of something you are trellising, or in the shade of a tall crop, maybe corn. If you don't have it, create your own shade.

Good luck.

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hattie the Hen said:
Hi there!:frow

I would put the peas in a big bowl of water & stands it near a window. They must be totally covered with the water & with clear plastic over the top. Leave them like that till you get back; then plant them, they will come up incredibly fast & do much better.

I do this with both peas & beans & was taught this trick by my grandfather 60 years ago. If your father comes over while you are away get him to change the water -- it can get a bit claggy & smelly otherwise . :old :D

Happy Sowing & Planting :tools

Hattie do you wait until they sprout then carefully plant them or just soak them for a day or 2???

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi Momofdrew, :frow

You can actually do either, but as I'm old & forgetful, :gig:lol: I usually wait till they sprout & then plant them. I think my Grandfather started doing this because they used to save their dried peas for years sometimes. :old :old :old I bet the Founding Fathers of your country did as well. :D I reckon it saves between 7-10 days doing this way. Obvious;y the older the peas the longer you soak. It also means every pea you sow comes up. So many times we sow peas & mice get them & you get rows that have great gaps in them.

Hope this helps? Have a great weekend :celebrate

Latest posts