Need shade-loving prolific vines to surround chicken run

MyKidLuvsGreenEgz

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
We are moving our bantam chickens into the garage in time for cold-weather. There's a little dog door that we'll open for them to go into a little run that, unfortunately, will be on the north side of the garage. About half in sun in the summer but a lot less in the winter. The small run will probably be about 20 x 20. I want to plant shade-loving vines in the parts closest to the house, and berry brambles where they'll get sun in the summer.

Do you know of any shade-loving vines that would work? That if some are eaten by the chickens, won't poison them?

Need to grow 5-6' tall or more.

Thanks.

Oh, zone 5, plains of Colorado. LOTS of heavy winds. Sandy loam "soil". Lots of rocks.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have some trumpet vine along the fence of my chicken run. I think that it is "poisonous", but they do not bother it and it grows in shade/sun. You will have to protect the roots from chicken scratching - a little chicken wire usually does the trick. I recently planted Dutchman's pipe, which is a shade lover. Hard to find though. Virginia Creeper would work well too. Good luck!

MyKidLuvsGreenEgz

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Oooh! Trumpet vines are beautiful! Wouldn't be concerned about the chicken scratching as it'll be planted on the outside of the perimeter, along with the berry brambles where the sun will hit. Are trumpet vines perennial?

Just as an update, we might also be putting up meat rabbit hutches in the run.

Thanks for the suggestions.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes, they are perennial- and they get bigger each year, quite nicely. The hummingbirds really like them! Planted on the outside of the fence will be perfect- that is just how mine are. I did weave mine in and out of the fencing the first couple years- just to kind of help it along.
A week ago I bought a couple more vines for 1.00 at Loews sale table-might be worth a trip, if you have one near you.

MyKidLuvsGreenEgz

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I do. But the run isn't built yet so I'm concerned I kill it before I could get it in the ground. Possibly another month away.

sparks

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I plant Morning Glories. Supposed to not be good for chickens but have been eating the flowers for years. Also planted gourds one year. This year Cathedral Bells. Very pretty

waqas5742

Leafing Out
Reaction score
sparks said:
I plant Morning Glories. Supposed to not be good for chickens but have been eating the flowers for years. Also planted gourds one year. This year Cathedral Bells. Very pretty
Best of luck (Y)

MyKidLuvsGreenEgz

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I **love** morning glories but aren't those annuals?

Latest posts