Need some advice on bunny

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I know we have a lot of rabbit folks on here, so I'm hoping you all can advise me...

My daughter's pet bunny had a bit of a mishap this evening. He got out of his cage and got into some fly tapes my DH had hung in the basement around the cage to trap the flies. Very sticky stuff! With slow and gentle pulling I was able to get them out of his fur, but he is very sticky now. This stuff is really gooey and tenacious. The only thing I know that will readily take it off is to rub in some Skin-so-soft or baby oil gel or something of that sort.

I am concerned about what would be safe for the bunny if he gets some in his mouth while grooming. I don't want to mess up his digestion or give him diarrhea. I was just going to leave it alone and let it wear off gradually, but I found him a little while ago with one of his paws firmly stuck to his head. :/ What should I do?

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't really have an answer for you Journey, but I know that rubbing alcohol works wonders on removing sap and tar. Maybe you could try that on a little patch?

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
If you use an oil based product to remove the sticky stuff, just follow up w/ a dawn dishsoap bath, that should get all the oil product out of the fur, that is what they use to clean wildlife after oil spills.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
He had his paw stuck again this morning. :p The Dawn sounds like a good idea if he'll let me wash him. Get the oil off before he can lick at it. I need to have him neutered. He has become very difficult to handle since he matured. However, I can't take him to the vet all sticky like that...but he'd be easier to bath if he were neutered and calmer. :p I'm sure it will not be much fun.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I feel sorry for the bunny, but the "visual" of a bunny with his paw stuck to his head is pretty funny!

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i was thinking mineral oil, the food grade kind. that way if you don't get all the oil out of the fur all it would do to him is a little diarrhea that you could offset by giving some oatmeal.

Latest posts