Need some advice on bunny

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
thistlebloom said:
I just remembered, back in my school days we sometimes used peanut butter to get gum out of our hair.
Another vote for peanut butter. Try the all natural kind.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
The only reason I knew baby oil would take it off is because DH got it all over his hands and my tack hammer. He is so Bam-Bam anyway...he tore most of the strips in half trying to open them. Time he was done wrestling with them, he was covered in the stuff. :rolleyes:

We've got a problem with some kind of tiny black fly, just slightly bigger than a fruit fly, but so much more annoying. They like moisture such as the pine shavings in the bottom of the bunny's droppings pan and certain things in the kitchen like the wet dishrag, bread, coffee grounds, potatoes. They are really weird and much harder to fight than fruit flies are. DH is getting really aggravated with them and they freak him out. He must have hung a dozen or so fly strips around the house. I've nearly gotten my own silly head stuck in them. :p

Thanks for the tip about the oatmeal, Chickie'sMoma! I've been told that bunnies have very sensitive digestive systems and I am so worried about making him sick. I've also heard that they don't handle stress or baths well either.

I found a few fly tape websites, but no tips on them how to remove from an animal's fur. I found one yahoo question about a bunny in fly tape, but I wouldn't trust a lot of the replies on there. Found a several on cats and dogs. Many said to trim off the fur. There is a lot on him, but maybe that's an option. One good tip I found was to apply a little oil to a cloth, then wipe, so you don't soak the fur. I think I'll probably go with veggie oil and dawn. I didn't have time to work on him today since I had to go to town. He will probably shred my arms. I'm not looking forward to it.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Just remember that the Dawn will dry his coat and skin out a lot. A mild conditioner will help.

I wonder if you put a pan of water with soap in it under a night light if you could catch a lot of those flies at night. It works for fleas...

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I will have to try that! I'd just about like to go after them with a flame thrower. :somad

I've had some success catching them in large numbers by baiting a stockpot with things they like, sneak up on it and slam the lid on quick. They die pretty quickly when I take them outside in this very cold weather we've been having. There are just so many of them. I need to figure out where else they are breeding. I think I'll sprinkle some DE on the bunny pan shavings and see if that will help since he is up above it on the wire cage and can't touch it.

Good thing no one is coming to my house for Christmas. I'd sure hate for a guest to get their head stuck in a fly tape. Well, except for one of my grandmas...the mean one. That might be funny then. :p

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
I will suggest when you handle bun bun to dress for the occasion. A long sleeve shirt or light jacket to protect your arms from claws and cover your hands. Wear at least a pair if garden gloves. Something to still be able to hold the rabbit and work the rags, etc.. but protect you. Good Luck.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Journey, do those little black flies go for rotting fruit, like the fruitflies do? If so, the best way I have for catching them is to put out a small jar with a little grape or other juice, a little apple cider vinegar, and a couple drops of dish soap. The flies are attracted to the fruit/vinegar, and the soap kills 'em when they get down in it.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nyboy said:
When we bath cats we put them in a small dog crate, put crate in bathtub.
Then they probably bath themselves. :lol:

So Lucky, these little flies won't touch fruit. They really like a wet dishrag though. I did manage to catch 4 with a saucer of soapy water like Thistle mentioned. :p I'm going to experiment a little. Maybe a dishrag soaked in Borax... Or sprinkled with DE... Hmm...

Carol, I'll definitely do that. I've got some of those thick rubber dishwashing/chore gloves that might work too. He used to be such a sweet bunny. I can't wait to get him neutered. No one can hold him now. I think it helped letting him sit for a day. The sticky spots are kinda spiked up, so maybe I could trim them off.

Latest posts