Need someone reliable to buy hierloom seeds

countrywife

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
i have been gardening for years, but would like to try heirloom this time. Anyone have a company recommendation?

Thanks- I hate picking a company on the internet that I have no idea is reputable or not.

mothergoose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I like the seed savers exchange. They can send you a catalog and you can veiw it online as well. THey have lots of interesting heritage varieties.
Christie :)

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
:welcome, countrywife!
MANY, MANY companies that we here have bought from have been around for a very long time. One of them is Gurney's. I remember my grandparents had their catalog. Lots of them have hard copies AND are online, too. Let's see if Pat chimes in on this one. :D

Wind Notes & Butterflies

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I highly Recommend Bakers Creek Heirloom seeds They have super customer service and loads of seed variety's.
I ordered from them 3 years in a row and the seeds I got all sprouted and produce superbly.

Here is the link to their site http://rareseeds.com/

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi countrywife, :welcome!

One not mentioned on here yet that has some really wonderful types of heirloom beans and tomatoes is Sustainable Mountain Agriculture Center, Inc. There you will find REAL greenbeans, just like your grandma used to grow! I bought from them this year and am really excited to plant them. They aren't a catalog business, per se, but more of a not-for-profit organization--they mostly just want to keep heirloom varieties going for future generations. You'll find types there that you'll likely not find anywhere else.

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I am trying Heirlooms this year also. I ordered mine from www.HeirloomSeeds.com. I can't really give a thumbs up or down till mid-summer or fall. Good luck and please post where you did get your seeds and how they turned out.

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Another vote for Baker Creek here :D

I have not had good luck with Gurney.

Park seed has been hit or miss for me.

My Bok Choy from Baker Creek is going nuts right now.

countrywife

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thank you. My apologies if I didn't do an introduction, I don't remember. All my time at BYC has fried my brain.

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I agree with Baker Creek and Seed Saver's Exchange

Another I would HIGHLY recommend and where I order a good amount of my seed from is Bountiful Gardens. It's a great place with good pricing and an excellent selection. Great customer service and they love to answer questions!

Here's an excerpt from their website:

"You may be interested to know that Bountiful Gardens is a non-profit organization and a project of Ecology Action which does garden research and publishes many books, information sheets, and research papers, some in other languages. Ecology Action operates a research mini-farm in Willits, CA"

Latest posts