Need someone reliable to buy hierloom seeds

Calliopia

Sprout
Reaction score
I shopped around last year and we tried Baker Creek and Territorial.

The seeds from Territorial didn't do very well and we think one of the tomatoes was just completely the wrong seed in the package. oops.

I was very happy with Baker Creek and will probably reorder with them this year and then pick one other seed company to try out. I like having a back up for when things go out of stock.

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I went with HeirloomSeeds.com last year and was not terriblely impressed with them. Several of the seeds didn't grow they aren't great with customer service and they are very slow.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Don't forget to check our own exchange board. Often another member has the seed you are looking for.

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Calliopia said:
I shopped around last year and we tried Baker Creek and Territorial.

The seeds from Territorial didn't do very well and we think one of the tomatoes was just completely the wrong seed in the package. oops.

I was very happy with Baker Creek and will probably reorder with them this year and then pick one other seed company to try out. I like having a back up for when things go out of stock.
I had the same problem last year with one of my tomatoes. It was supposed to be Super Itatlian and I think it was roma's. I have heard nothing but good stuff about Baker Creek. I tend to try to only buy my seeds from the same region I live in but I may give them a try.

mothergoose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Baker creek is a great seed source. I have had excellent luck with them and have another huge order going in. They are very reasonable on their shipping too...$3.00 flat!

Seed savers exchange is great too.

Go online and sign up to get their catalogs...the seed choices are endless and the photos are great!

I love trying new varieties and have found many new favorites!

Christie :D

hiker125

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I really like Johhny's Select Seeds. They have a lot of helpful tools and information in the catalog. I also buy from a local supplier, Bunton Seeds. They have been in Louisville forever and stock varieities that grow well in our area.

Why is there such a run on seed already? Due to the new legislation?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Run on seeds? I still haven't ordered a thing . . . you're scaring me, Hiker.

:/

Unemployment is capitalism's way of getting you to plant a garden. ~ Orson Scott Card

Steve

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Last year a lot of the varieties I wanted to try sold out. I ordered early this year and still had to find alternative sources for one of the items I wanted. (Had to order chufa from some feed store in Georgia rather than Baker Creek).

I imagine others had the same problem hence the early ordering. Also more and more people are turning to gardening because of food scares and a desire to save money due to the economy.

Most of the common stuff will be in the super stores as usual, but it you want non-gmo heirlooms or something unique, ordering early is your best bet.

mothergoose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Yep, I had to go to another source also due to some of the items I wanted were already sold out too.
Glad I did'nt wait any longer.

Now just have to wait for spring,
Christie :D

Ariel301

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
hiker125 said:
I really like Johhny's Select Seeds. They have a lot of helpful tools and information in the catalog. I also buy from a local supplier, Bunton Seeds. They have been in Louisville forever and stock varieities that grow well in our area.

Why is there such a run on seed already? Due to the new legislation?
I've noticed the last year or two that many seed companies had whole varieties unavailable or only with limited availability due to crop failure. Our grocery store has a sign up in their half-full produce department apologizing for high prices and lack of selection because their producers have had crop failure due to bad weather. So, between all the people wanting their own garden with heirloom plants and all the crop failure, there's bound to be a shorter supply...

Latest posts