Needing somewhere to complain

ChickenMomma91

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
So I'm going to challenge myself to not curse!

I FREAKING HATE RAIN! It has rained for about two weeks straight now! How in the name of the Blessed Goddess am I suppose to till and place pathways in my vegetable garden if its a huge mud pit!?!? This is my first in-ground garden and I'm not very happy, I wanted to have everything laid out by now and just waiting to plant, but there isn't a point if my paths and trellises aren't in place! On top of that we're getting a huge and way too fast temp change for the weekend so we're having to keep an eye out for twister weather! Whats the bloody point of putting in all that hard work if a thunderstorm with high winds is just gonna knock everything down before its settled?! I've had it up to my eyeballs with all this wind and rain, here it is the suns shining but its still chilly and damp as a used wash cloth! If I tried to fire up my huge heavy tiller that I've used exactly three times since its purchase and run it through my 15' garden I'd sink faster than the bloody Titanic! My last frost date is tomorrow, if I stuck to my original timeline I'd be planting next week after my plants had hardened off in the shed all week but it looks like my entire garden is going to be behind! If I'd had my hoop house ready for my winter garden I'd just use that and have everything anchored but I still have to till GRRRRRRRRR I just wanna scream! everyone at work wants to gag me because every time its starts raining i start grumbling about not being able to work in the garden. So ends my rant. Stay tuned for further restrained complaints of a clean vocabulary nature once Mother Nature decides to tick me off again.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mind if I join you. We were really dry for quite a while. I got my cool weather crops in and then it started raining, raining enough to take us from severe drought to only moderate drought. There is some benefit there, I'll grant, but it's been too wet to get in there for almost 2 weeks. I did not get anything mulched before the rain hit. Tiny weeds and grass are sprouting all over. If I could get in there to work it, I could probably clean those sprouts out in a few hours, it really wouldn't take much. But by the time I can get in there it's going to be a real pain to clean it all out. Most of it I'll be able to do with a hoe but some will require pulling by hand.

I'm grateful for the rain, I really am. We needed it. But if it had just held off a couple of days I'd have had a lot of it mulched so weed and grass sprouts would not be a problem. it's supposed to quit for a while so maybe I can catch up, or at least not fall further behind.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Next week's forecast is looking a little better. I just need like 4 or 5 sunny days in a row to get something done outside. I am feeling the weeds creeping up on me! If I don't get perennial flowerbeds cleaned up and mulched soon, it will be a real mess. Seems like the sun only shines on days I have to run off somewhere. :confused:

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well ladies... here in the PNW we had a record rainfall with one morning of some sunshine in Feb.. For March we had the second record fainfall with 3 days with "sun breaks " ( sun peaking through the clouds from a minute or two or up to 14 minutes ) then drizzle and/ or rain. For the month of April... more rain untill last Tues, and Wed. we had some longer "sun breaks" lasting for a couple hours. Today light rain is falling and it is reported that it will clear off by 5 pm, then more of the same for tomorrow. I haven't been able to do ANY GARDENING or anything resembling it since before Christmas when I did some pruning after a hard frost. So , count your blessings.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
We have a chance of snow tomorrow. Maybe the kids will get to go sledding after all? If the rain we had this winter would have been snow, we would have been buried in it. Dog unfortunately ate my 5-year-olds foam sled before she got to use it...

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
They are calling for rain EVERY week during April through June! I will be planting my garden in wet sand. In springs like this, so thankful for sand. Now in a dry summer, I hate sand....

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
They are calling for rain EVERY week during April through June! I will be planting my garden in wet sand. In springs like this, so thankful for sand. Now in a dry summer, I hate sand....

I'm with you on this one seed, I never get mud. I might choke on the sandstorm we get when it is hot and dry ( all summer) but at least I don't get mud.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
After moving to Ireland from a semi-desert (no rain for months on end) part of South Africa, I also look at rain very differently.

I used to LIKE rain… I used to say things like "I wish it would rain"

Latest posts