Needing somewhere to complain

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
So I'm going to challenge myself to not curse!

I FREAKING HATE RAIN! It has rained for about two weeks straight now! How in the name of the Blessed Goddess am I suppose to till and place pathways in my vegetable garden if its a huge mud pit!?!? This is my first in-ground garden and I'm not very happy, I wanted to have everything laid out by now and just waiting to plant, but there isn't a point if my paths and trellises aren't in place! On top of that we're getting a huge and way too fast temp change for the weekend so we're having to keep an eye out for twister weather! Whats the bloody point of putting in all that hard work if a thunderstorm with high winds is just gonna knock everything down before its settled?! I've had it up to my eyeballs with all this wind and rain, here it is the suns shining but its still chilly and damp as a used wash cloth! If I tried to fire up my huge heavy tiller that I've used exactly three times since its purchase and run it through my 15' garden I'd sink faster than the bloody Titanic! My last frost date is tomorrow, if I stuck to my original timeline I'd be planting next week after my plants had hardened off in the shed all week but it looks like my entire garden is going to be behind! If I'd had my hoop house ready for my winter garden I'd just use that and have everything anchored but I still have to till GRRRRRRRRR I just wanna scream! everyone at work wants to gag me because every time its starts raining i start grumbling about not being able to work in the garden. So ends my rant. Stay tuned for further restrained complaints of a clean vocabulary nature once Mother Nature decides to tick me off again.
We had a drought last summer so bad our well dried up. It is just a well for gardening and animals so we still had our town water. Never curse the rain. It will subside, your garden will get done. What if you had planted and then the torrents started. Good luck with the sunshine.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Maybe there are things you could grow in a rainy gardening season that would do better than in what would be a more normal year. I grew watercress one year because the neighbor's irrigation valve leaked.

Geologists have come up with a way of evaluating large aquifers by their gravity. I don't know how this works but water is heavy, we all know that.

It isn't really that it has departed Earth but if the weight of the water has been measured in some way in a location and it is now elsewhere, a change has occurred. Aquifers can be huge things and natural movement of water through them can take centuries so water tables by location must vary. What a way to get a broad measurement! https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.php?feature=4626

Steve

PennyJo

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
second pnw person Mossyrock 98564 Yes yecord rainfall also very tired of it
Rain can go away anyday may have had one day less but
sick of rubber boot weather

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
When I was in first or second grade we had Catholic readers, not Dick and Jane like public schools, but Ann and David. One story was they wished the rain to go away so they could go play and then it got hot and dry and they had to pray for rain. I never forgot that story and never say or wish rain to go away, but this year, but I know we needed the rain. If the garden was already planted it would be amazing. At least the garlic and strawberries are happy right now.

PennyJo

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We didn't have to water and the garden is planted feel great about that
everything is now out of the greenhouse having nice starts on most.. picked up seed for a Shasta daisy
they grow free in Alaska if you winter them they are perennial
unless you put them in the ground also the all important marigold

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
I went to Catholic School, St Anthony, Gardena California~we walked to school 5 miles. Once a few years back while in Southern California I drove from where the Big House stood to St Anthony's, while telling that story to wife and the girls, it was exactly 1 mile, what happened to the other 4 miles?

Latest posts