Neem oil

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, I knew it is a widely used insecticide/fungicide, but who knew it would make me look younger and richer?
Seriously, I think it is worth having for your garden pests.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I started using it last year, but only sprayed with it a couple of times. I used it mostly on my cukes and squash. It was a good year for those, but that could have been mostly because of the thorough mulching or even the radishes that I interplanted with the cukes, so I can't really say. I think it has to be used more preventatively too, before any real problems show up.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I tried to switch the ornamental gardens to organic about 12 years ago.

Aphids will show up on most everything. Spider mites too and they have even killed dahlia plants. Mildew may be everywhere by late summer and black spot can work its way right from the bottom of a zinnia to the flowers. None of these problems add to any ornamental value and even"cosmetic" damage is too much on a flower. So, there was neem.

Neem was supposed to take care of all of this! It didn't. In fact, I developed a rash on both arms after spraying. Some kind of sensitivity ...

@hoodat likes neem. Everything in the veggies is organic. I use insecticidal soap on aphids, for example.

Last year, I grew Brussels sprouts for the first time. They are aphid magnets! I sprayed with both soap and a week later with pyrethrin. Pretty much the end of the aphids.

One plant was in a different garden and I sprayed it with neem. Dang near killed it!

I remember that I sprayed it in the morning and that is not the time I do my regular spraying. Late is best. With the neem, I guess I'd better treat it like the Palmolive dish soap I've used in the ornamentals and return the following morning and rinse the plants! Shoot.

Not giving up on neem but that Brussels sprout plant sure didn't enjoy being a part of the experience.

Steve
ETA: Natria brand is what I used. Probably says right on the label something about not spraying in bright sunlight.

Last edited:

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
I make a neem oil dog shampoo bar. But you should not use it straight. Mix it with something else in the oil family. Its very powerful on the skin and more otherwise.

SouthernFarmer1984

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Yes I used it last year cause its seen as Organic Pesticide,I had Leaf Miners and White Flies attacking my plants and when I would spray them you could just see the bugs flying away from it.As well as Permethrin for controlling ants and other pests,Only bad thing is that it will kill honey bees so I use it sparingly.

Mauldintiger

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have not used it yet, but I'm going to. Bugs are already attacking cabbage and broccoli, I bought a small 8 oz bottle from a big box, but it's not the cold pressed 100% in the link above. Most say the cold pressed is more effective, so I am going to order it. Hope to spray cole crops and Tomatoes by Friday?

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have not used it yet, but I'm going to. Bugs are already attacking cabbage and broccoli, I bought a small 8 oz bottle from a big box, but it's not the cold pressed 100% in the link above. Most say the cold pressed is more effective, so I am going to order it. Hope to spray cole crops and Tomatoes by Friday?

Are they caterpillars? You might want Bt instead. Also considered organic.

Latest posts