Neighbor Trying To Stop Garage

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Nyboy, I too would prefer to look at woods than a garage. :hide:hide:hide

Mary:hide
BUT your neighbors have no right to view YOUR woods on YOUR property. I have considered, if my ship comes in, to build an indoor (horse) riding arena, and the location would block the view of our neighbors to My property and the farm field beyond, including the western sunsets. I would apply for a permit and, if granted, I would proceed.
When I was little we lived in a very small housing development, now in suburban Philadelphia. We owned an acre of land each, with a strip that somebody? owned in between our homes and the homes to the east.
Drove past this many decades after we had moved away and lo and behold the owner of the strip made it into 5 new properties and there were 5 homes there with a brand new street.
Not sure how my family would have felt about this new building had we still lived there.

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
A long while back~ visited niece and nephew in Washington~ he took me to an indoor arena~ from a bar built kinda above it~ you could see the entire arena~ forget the name~ they had and Electric Bull~ remember them```

Brother bought the Lord mansion from the end of his pier you could look out and see the capitol in the distance```

Just looked at a picture on line~ I don't remember it looking that grand``` Maybe it was owned by C.J. Lord~ the one on line~ known as the mansion```

They brought in alcoholic drink~ to that pier~ from Canada during prohibition``` The pier was long~ can't build them that long now```

Last edited:

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
This is the garage I am doing I think very cute
upload_2017-12-1_11-27-44.png

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Looks like an expensive horse barn. Where does vehicle go in at-side or front?

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Looks lovely!! I wish I could afford a wooden pole barn (building, indoor arena or other), but I could probably only afford a metal one. Many horse owners build those and then put stalls inside. I already have 3 stalls in my wooden (sided) 70yo barn and wouldn't give those up for storage bc the hay/straw stored in the loft above and the horses produce enough heat to raise the temperature inside the building 10-15 degrees F and often their water doesn't freeze when it is frozen outside, even with windows open.
Metal buildings as indoor arenas are useful for training in bad or wet weather for footing. Cold, rainy, snowy weather is in itself no problem for a horse. When they slip and slide they can go down, and when training in they can resent the bad footing and give you a training problem.
But unless you can open them up for air in the summer you swelter and even when close up in the winter, they are a windless icebox.
So happy that you can build your garage! I definitely would have fought this! I don't want any of my neighbors taking away my property rights. YOUR WOODS are for YOUR viewing and nobody else's.
Congratulations!! :weee

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Seed side doors will be facing driveway. It is Amish built, comes in prebuilt sections goes up 1 day they claim. Beging painted same colors as house yellow with white trim

Latest posts