Nephew Gave Me A Good Laugh

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Question the land they can use has never been sprayed with anything. If they plant organic seeds and only use rabbit manure are the pumpkins organic ?

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes. But obviously not "certified organic". I'm not familiar with the laws but I think if you sell it as organic it has to be certified. ??

That's funny about them wanting you to buy a tiller. Ha!
I bet money that after using a tiller on raw ground their zeal starts to evaporate. :lol:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Spading forks can be real helpful with clearing away perennials.

Tilling some plants just spreads them.

Pumpkin vines are pretty good at suppressing weeds but you have to be agile getting around and getting out what shows up.

Steve

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i agree on the 1 day they try working with the tiller on un-tilled land. they will be wishing they hadn't thought of that. the ground does get softer each year you till the dirt up. but the aches & pains when you're done carry over to the next day just about year after year when you till. i'm still working my area & have gradually move out more & more space from the original garden area. going from soft, previously till ground to new, hard packed, rocky isn't easy.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
When you first till a garden it may not be very good for growing. Sometimes it takes a few years for the fertility to be abundant. If they do the work and stick with it one bad crop should not make them quit. Assuming they work on it more than one day.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
it might just be easier for them to plant a bunch in very large landscaper pots & just keep them watered. there are some pumpkins that will grow ok in pots. or, this might work better. they could get a few bags of compost & put a couple holes in the bags where they will plant a couple seeds. keeps the roots self contained & end of season just dump the bags in a compost bin.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
it might just be easier for them to plant a bunch in very large landscaper pots & just keep them watered. there are some pumpkins that will grow ok in pots. or, this might work better. they could get a few bags of compost & put a couple holes in the bags where they will plant a couple seeds. keeps the roots self contained & end of season just dump the bags in a compost bin.

Now Chickie, don't be giving them good advice to make this any easier. How are we going to be entertained if they don't rototill and plant in the ground?