New 2012 USDA Plant Hardiness Zone Map

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
I went to the local biz (not big box store) to return three Nerium Oleander Petite Plants, at $9.99 ea purchased on 9/22/17. This is a small local chain, similar to that Ranch supply place most of you have.

The oleander died. They were #1, about 10" tall and didn't make it through the winter here. They denied the return. I nicely asked for store credit, even exchange, anything. NOPE. She said "you bought a plant that doesn't survive here. Its not meant for our zone." Then why do you bring in plants that are not meant for our zone? I'm new here and I would assume that any plants you have for sale would be good. NOPE. I told her that I looked up this particular Oleander and it would be just OK for our zone 8 a/b. She said "you're not in 8!!!! We are in 7!!! No wonder it died!". I've written a nice note to the corporate HQTRS.

In the meantime, today I double checked my zone. Using the USDA map and sure enough for my zip code, I'm on the border of 8 a/b. I have not yet checked to see what the Sunset Magazine zone is, but I would assume that the USDA map would be more "official".

Shrugs....

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Edit: just checked Sunset. Who's right? Sunset magazine or USDA?

ZONE 7: California’s Gray Pine Belt, Oregon’s Rogue River Valley, and Southern California mountains

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sunsets zones are their own and don't have anything to do with USDA zones. They are intended to be used in conjunction with their Sunset Western Gardening book. You could be in zone 7 in both (theoretically) but that would just be a coincidence in the two numbering systems.

A lot of places don't guarantee plants. It's just too much of a loss, and it's buyer beware when you purchase plants. Never assume that because it's sold there, it grows there. HD is a great one for selling plants out of our zone hardiness.

Fred Meyer used to guarantee their plants for a year. I bought several bare root roses there one year and only one actually grew. That's when I found out they had changed their policy. So basically when you walk out the door with it, you're on your own.

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
well, phoey then. I have taken plants back to Lowes with no problem. I bought a very sickly Italian Prune last winter and the local hardware store (small oregon chain) said bring it back if it doesn't make it by next spring. So far so good on it!

Yeah, I bought some grasses at Freddy's last fall. Red ones. Checked the tag and it said 8 - 9 zone. They all died. Guess I'm closer to a seven. Oh, and looked up the tag species and online it said zone 9 - 10. Grrrrr

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Years ago you could take your plant in a plastic bag with your receipt and get a refund at Home Depot. Now they require you bring it in the container it came with. I hate hanging on to those since I won't reuse them but now I have to save them just in case.

Mary

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Years ago you could take your plant in a plastic bag with your receipt and get a refund at Home Depot. Now they require you bring it in the container it came with. I hate hanging on to those since I won't reuse them but now I have to save them just in case.

Mary
I saw a really old lady bring back a plant to Home Depot. It was very sad. I am sure it was a cheap annual that she had not bothered to water for a few months.It look like they were going to give her money back.