New Chickens

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The Light Brahma was the interesting hen in my parents' briefly kept flock. Mom didn't like chickens. My sister in law claimed that she didn't even like to hear them walk ;).

Anyway, as a kid I had my little Sebrights outdoors but when I would go in the chicken house, it was the Light Brahma that would come over and sit by me. She was probably the #1 chicken.

I had a flock of them not too many years ago. Other than eating a lot, they do okay. I like their quiet independence. My Buff Orpingtons always seemed goofy, lazy things. It would not surprise me if your RIR is the egg champion.

Steve

waretrop

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
OMGosh!!!!!! @ninnymary your coop is so so cute...I could never sit hear my coop. You couldn't hear someone talking next to you.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
In case anybody is looking for chicken breeds, and you live in a cold climate I would like to recommend Silver Laced Wyandottes, or any of the other Wyandottes. I was given 2 hens over 1 year ago. They laid almost all last winter, even though I didn't provide a light, they don't mind the cold, they don't mind the heat, they are NOT aggressive, but they hold their own against the roosters.
I wouldn't take another RIR, unless it was to put in a pot.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Just so you are aware as there is a firm out of Wisconsin who sells eggs on the east coast that the eggs come from Wisconsin, Michigan and Indiana that are legally labeled "organic" but are fed GMO corn.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Just so you are aware as there is a firm out of Wisconsin who sells eggs on the east coast that the eggs come from Wisconsin, Michigan and Indiana that are legally labeled "organic" but are fed GMO corn.

Got a link? You are talking about "certified organic".

It's up to you to know what the label really means, people would be surprised at a lot of that. Certain labels do have specific legal meanings, some don't. A lot of the public have some pretty strong misconceptions about what those labels really mean.

I'm not into certified organic myself. As someone else kind of said on here, organic is a way of life, not a set of rules.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Red ... You have been outed !!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mary how much do a dozen organic eggs sell for near you? Here they sell anywhere from $5 to $8 a dozen
I think Trader Joe's sells theirs for around $4. At the farmer's market I think they are $6. Not sure since I haven't bought them in years.

Mary

Latest posts