New Chickens

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
The other day when @seedcorn was complaining about southerners not posting enough photos to get him through his winter, I went to the trouble to put fresh batteries in my camera just to make him happy. The least I can do for you is to go out in this drizzle to get some photos of what I generously call rustic. You can actually see a few raindrops.

Overall.JPG

First a sort of overall look.

General.JPG

Then a different angle.

Growout.JPG

This is what I call my Grow-out coop. I currently have 13 in this 4x8 structure with an 8x12 run.

Broody.JPG

Then I have this 4x8 out in the run. I currently have a broody hen and 9 chicks that hatched Sunday night in it. In a couple of days I'll open it up and let the broody and chicks roam with the flock. Often I let a broody keep them in the main coop at night but I have eight more 9-week-olds sleeping in there. It will be more peaceful if the broody takes her chicks to sleep in this out in the run.

Main.JPG

Then my main coop. it's an 8x12 built on the end of a 12x60 shed.

North.JPG

Then a shot of the North wall of the main coop that leads into the run.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well I bet a coat of paint with some bright colors would spruce it up and take it out of the rustic category. ;) How many chickens do you have? I love all the space they have.

Mary

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
One rooster, eight hens, twenty-one 9-week-olds, and nine that were hatched last Sunday night. I'll probably hatch another 12 to 15 this year.

I'm OK with it as it is. It can't be seen that well from the road and the neighbors aren't likely to complain. The chickens sure don't.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
One rooster, eight hens, twenty-one 9-week-olds, and nine that were hatched last Sunday night. I'll probably hatch another 12 to 15 this year.

I'm OK with it as it is. It can't be seen that well from the road and the neighbors aren't likely to complain. The chickens sure don't.
Do you sell your eggs? I take it most of them are for freezer camp.

Mary

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
For the eggs I don't use I first give them to friends or relatives then donate the excess to a local food bank. I don't sell my eggs, they are a gift.

Out of the chicks I hatch this year I'll keep one rooster for next year and four replacement pullets. The rest will be invited to be the guest of honor at my dining table, along with this year's rooster and the four hens that are being replaced.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yep, when I first saw that photo I had to look closely, they are so sharp, crisp, and nicely colored I first thought they were fake chickens and not real. The chickens are too perfect. I think it is a great photo.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yep, when I first saw that photo I had to look closely, they are so sharp, crisp, and nicely colored I first thought they were fake chickens and not real. The chickens are too perfect. I think it is a great photo.
Thank you. It was evening and I like that light better. I'm not a good photographer. I just got lucky.

Mary

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I understand some of you are paying a decent premium for non-GMO feed. @ducks4you at $10/50# that is for bagged layer mash from local mills, correct?

I know I am anal on this subject, forgive me, but how do you know it is non-GMO? Here in Indiana, we run tests for GMO (in those markets) and some companies label their non-GMO hybrids as "Not for use in Non-GMO markets).

If you want to know IF you are receiving what you pay for, let me know. I'll see where closest testing facilities are at for you.

I buy Texas Naturals layer pellets for $25.95 a #50 bag. I would sure be interested in knowing if indeed, I am getting what I am paying for. They do not claim to be organic, as in certified, government approved organic, but that their growers use organic methods. I can understand that, because certified organic no longer means anything and the process is onerous and expensive.

http://www.texasnaturalfeeds.com/

The "organic" chicken layer pellets from another company is $32 a #50 bag.