New Fruit Trees

MissPrissy

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
When we bought this house it had an old orchard that we have cleaned up and tried to maintain just as it was with apples and damson trees. Last year we planted fig trees and blueberries. We talk alot about what we would like to do here with this old place. Yesterday I took action and bought other fruit trees I wanted. We will start a second orchard.

I bought -

2 Bartlett pears
1 pineapple pear
1 Hale Haven peach
1 Elberta peach
1 Bing cherry
1 Van Cherry

2 blue berries bushes
3 red raspberries

It has been raining a little off and on the past 2 days. We flip flop from cold to warm to cold days. We will put them in the ground tomorrow.

They will have a couple years to grow before they do anything but we have time.

fruittrees.jpg

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'd love to have fruit trees, but I don't have enougth room.

I did dig up shoots from my grandmothers fig tree last summer and have babied it in a pot and planted it last fall. It's doing great! Do you have any idea how long it will take to fruit? It's only about a foot and a half tall right now.

Thanks!

Tink

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Hey Miss Prissy....Have you ever had a Honey Crisp apple? Yummo.....Try one if you ever find one. We want to plant a Pomergranite (sp).... We already have peaches, apples, pears and blueberries....
I want a pie!
Tink

MissPrissy

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Tink - No, i haven't. The best apple in the world to me is the Virginia Stayman - a very old winesap. Most incredible apple with beautiful flesh.

Southern Gardener - We planted figs last year and had a handful of figs at the end of fall.

Pat - I have been cooking and baking apple pies from our trees and an apple from a grocery store cannot stand up to them. Back in Ga we had pears and peaches - NOTHING beats fresh from tree. My mouth waters when I think of fruit in a few years.

ams3651

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
MissPrissy said:
Tink - No, i haven't. The best apple in the world to me is the Virginia Stayman - a very old winesap. Most incredible apple with beautiful flesh.

Southern Gardener - We planted figs last year and had a handful of figs at the end of fall.

Pat - I have been cooking and baking apple pies from our trees and an apple from a grocery store cannot stand up to them. Back in Ga we had pears and peaches - NOTHING beats fresh from tree. My mouth waters when I think of fruit in a few years.
I worked in an orcharg market when I was young and I agree the Stayman Winesap is is my favorite. So crisp, a little tart and just great flavor. they sold the orchard a couple years ago and I havent been able to find any. I havent seen them in catalogs either.

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Stayman Winesaps are sold out for this year. Trees of Antiquity sells out very early, mostly because they supply other garden retailers but also because they have awesome varieties and high-quality plants. I have always gotten wonderful quality trees from them, very much worth the money.

Seriously, order in September 2008 for spring 2009 delivery, and you have a shot at getting most of the varieties you want. That's how fast they sell out.

The apple I am very much looking forward to, have not tasted ever anywhere, is D'Arcy Spice. Supposedly tastes very much like cinnamon/apple pie spice. For now, my favorite is Northern Spy.

Backyard Buddies

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
ams3651 said:
I worked in an orcharg market when I was young and I agree the Stayman Winesap is is my favorite. So crisp, a little tart and just great flavor. they sold the orchard a couple years ago and I havent been able to find any. I havent seen them in catalogs either.
Coooooooool! Stayman Winesap can be grown in Zone 10 and it says it's good near the coast! The website said that it blooms late. What is used as a pollinator?

Backyard Buddies

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
MissPrissy said:
Another variety of winesap.
Does it have to be a winesap? Can another variety apple be used as a pollinator? Because space is limited, I'm planning to use the Backyard Orchard Culture method of multi-planting in order to plant more varieties in a smaller space. Hubby has some ideas of other apples he'd like to grow and if this one will go with it, it'd be a nice addition.

Latest posts