New Fruit Trees

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Uh Miss. Prissy is there anything you can't do?
You probably know more than just about anyone when it comes to keeping chickens and now you are planting a "second orchard" ooohh I am so jealous.I would love to have an orchard, even one;) I do suppose I could start by planting at least one fruit tree. Actually, thats why I picked this thread.I have planted a few new trees but I really want to plant some fruit trees.I live in zone 5 though and I am not sure what will work, besides apples. I don't know anyone else in my town that has been able to grow any decent apples besides the trees on my church lawn.I know people that have tried but the fruit never develops right.There are plenty of apple picking orchards around here so it can be done, the question is can it be done by me? Anyone have any suggestions for zone 5? I love the way lemon trees look in pots on the patio, I wonder if I could do that here.I know I am going to plant at least one pear tree this year.I love the way they look,even though I don't think I would get fruit off of them.I asked someone at a garden center and he said the fruit is there but not edible.He said the pears don't get developed to the point of picking and eating them.

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Lots of pear cultivars don't ripen on the tree--they ripen only a couple of weeks after they are picked. Pears are not like peaches, they don't ripen well on the tree. If you leave them on the tree till they are ripe, you'll be eating pear-flavored sand. You have to pick them when they are kinda green but full-size, then store them in the fridge for two weeks or so.

Latest posts