New Fruit Trees

LisaJean

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I got a pressure cooker for Christmas, that can be used for canning. Trouble is, it's so small, I can only fit pint jars in it, if those.

So, thus far, I've only been canning stuff that you can use the boiling water canning method for. But once my veggies start taking off, i will need to learn to use the pressure cooker.

ams3651

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Backyard Buddies said:
Rosalind said:
Winesaps are triploid, they can't pollinate anything, including each other. . . . You can use nearly any other mid-season apple to pollinate them, though.
I'm new to apples so I had to look up the Triploid definition as it applies to apples. Everywhere I look it says, "Apples that are pollen sterile (usually genetic triploids) will not pollinate other apples; therefore, if you plant a pollen sterile variety you will need two other pollinators."
Source: http://cru.cahe.wsu.edu/CEPublications/eb0937/eb0937.pdf

So, am I understanding it correctly that if you plant a Stayman Winesap, you must have not 1, but 2 pollinators? I'm guessing that the Stayman needs one tree, but the second tree needs its own pollinator? Is that the reason for 3 trees?
Ok, Im lost...I have 3 old established trees, yellow delicious, red delicious and I think either cortland or macintosh. So if I get a Stayman Winesap tree do I need to get something else with it or would what I have be ok??
:hu

Just wanted to add, Empire are a good all purpose apple as well, I love them too
http://www.treesofantiquity.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=41_1&products_id=43

ksacres

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Wynsaps can be pollinated by red or golden delicious. They just can't pollinate each other.

MissPrissy

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I knew that about winesaps in the back of my mind. Why did he tell me that?

I have 4 other apple trees in my orchard that have been here for 8 or more decades. I have no idea what the variety is. There are 2 reds and 2 greens.

Old trees don't make as nice a fruit as younger but since these trees are such old growth we have had a hard time with even considering taking them out and replacing them. I have pruned them heavily. Then we have made sure to do good fruit tree fertilization and insect prevention. The 2nd year under our care we had some really great apples. Last year we had snow the day before easter and most every blossom was killed. The only thing that survived was fruit on the oldest apple tree. It was amazing fruit. The best fruit we have gotten to date.

Sadly, the last wintry storm took out that tree in the worst way.

tree4.jpg

I was out with my daughter waiting for the school bus when we heard the thunderous crack and crash.

For me it was very sad day. This tree had stood sentinal over the people who lived in this house almost from the time the house was built. It was a witness tree. It was there through generations of children and laughter and loving families.

The shade it provided will be greatly missed this summer.

More about my tree here .

ams3651

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
My established apple trees were planted by my grandfather when they lived here, I have no idea how old they are but having experience with apples I identified them last year but they didnt do well, needed to be opened up which i did a few weeks ago. It was just the macintosh or cortland, did so poorly and were so small Im not sure. I want to put these apples to good use as my grandfather intended but I guess I should start a couple new ones too as I know they dont last forever. But I know what you mean, I will be sad to see them go when their time comes.

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I knew that about winesaps in the back of my mind. Why did he tell me that?
Was he from New England? It seems to be a Yankee pasttime to mess with people's heads and see just how big a tale they'll swallow. We're also famous for having crappy soil that grows mostly rocks, so any New England old farmers' stories should be taken with a 50lb. sack of rock salt, on account of stuff only grows here by the grace of heaven and the Red Sox.

Crunchie

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I'm just itching to plant some fruit trees around here, so this thread is great! It will be 20 years before I have fruit, though, seeing as it's gonna take me 10 years to decide what the heck I want to plant!!

ksacres

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Crunchie said:
It will be 20 years before I have fruit, though, seeing as it's gonna take me 10 years to decide what the heck I want to plant!!
I'm with ya on that one :D

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We've had good luck with the trees we've planted since moving here.

There were already 13 ancient apple trees along the creek (We don't know the varieties, but there are yellows; what we call, Blushing Darlings, and greens.), cherries, plums, berries, gooseberries, etc.

So we planted several types of pears, among others. Unfortunately, someone went down and destroyed a few :( . But the rest have done well, and I would love to plant more.

I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your older tree. Mine are even older than that, but are protected in a treeline, so still stand. Well, one runs horizontally, and has since we've been here. I know their days will come, though.

Good luck with yours, I know you are going to enjoy their fruit! :)

Latest posts