new hatches

Stubbornhillfarm

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Wisher1000 said:
WOW! I didn't realize that so many of you have the chick-itis like me!

I have ten week-old pullets right now and a funny story. I have a EE hen that has been broody (first time) for nearly 3 months. I have tried, unsucessfully, several times to break her up. She has just found other places to set. I bought these chicks to give to her so that she would get off the nest and help me with the chicks.

Well, she would have nothing to do with the chicks. I put them under her and she growled and pecked at them. It was at night and as soon as it got light out, she left the chicks and moved to another nest box. I fired up the brooder which happens to be on top of the nest boxes. That was just over a week ago. Yesterday, I was once again going to block her out of the nest boxes to try to break her up. I lifted the curtain on her nest box and she stepped out and went into the feed room. That is where the brooder is. She went over to the brooder, looked at the chicks, and started pacing back and forth. It looked like she wanted into the brooder so I opened the door and she jumped in! It scared the bejeebies out of the chicks but she began clucking and squatting for them to get under her!

They spent last night together and all went well. Of course, the chicks did not imprint on her so they don't mind her at all. They are starting to come when she calls them to food but that is about all. When I went in to check on them before daylight, all ten were under her for warmth (I turned off the heat light to see if they would get under her.) She is happy with her brood, even if they couldn't care less about her!

Crazy hen...
That is a funny one! Chickens are so fickle! At least you go her out of the nest and she seems happy. :D

Stubbornhillfarm

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Congrats to all of you with new babies and to the ones with some on the way! They are so cute when they are fuzzy. Seeing the pictures of the babies made me remember not too many months ago when our S Sussex were all fuzzy looking like chipmunks. enjoy them!