New Hens and Coons

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
My parents would die over the price of some dog foods. They feed our family dog what supermarket had on sale.

Back in the day we never bought dog food...a family of 9 can generate enough scraps for a dog and that's what he got, same with the cats.

Now I feed the cheapest I can find, Good Friends from Rural King for $10.99 per 40 lbs. Even then it feels like I'm buying a luxury item and get embarrassed to check it out.

Feather meal analysizes very high in protein but for mammals it is 100% worthless. High in fiber......

But as a filler it is used to bring pet food grade meal 55-58% protein up to a 60-70% and not sacrifice high dollar raw material to do it, in the end it almost all looks the same once its ground.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Back in the day we never bought dog food...a family of 9 can generate enough scraps for a dog and that's what he got, same with the cats.

Now I feed the cheapest I can find, Good Friends from Rural King for $10.99 per 40 lbs. Even then it feels like I'm buying a luxury item and get embarrassed to check it out.
I feed science diet $58 for 30 lb bag, a bag last anywhere from 1 to 3 days

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
But as a filler it is used to bring pet food grade meal 55-58% protein up to a 60-70% and not sacrifice high dollar raw material to do it, in the end it almost all looks the same once its ground.
I understand. Most dogs are over fed so it’s no big deal. In reality buying a food based on feathermeal protein is folly. Consumers need to understand it’s about digestible nutrients and not analyzed nutrients. Again, most dogs are over fed so consumers think the dog is on a hi protein diet but actually is on a hi fiber diet.

I understand. Most dogs are over fed so it’s no big deal. In reality buying a food based on feathermeal protein is folly. Consumers need to understand it’s about digestible nutrients and not analyzed nutrients. Again, most dogs are over fed so consumers think the dog is on a hi protein diet but actually is on a hi fiber diet.

Agreed,

My son bought a high protein top of the line dog food for his beagles once. Dogs couldn't run a straight line without stopping to take a dump. It was so noticeable he was like what the crap is going on, I didn't say anything but I figured he got a hold of a bag of jacked up feather meal protein dog food.