New Hens and Coons

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Dew, sorry for the derailment. Back to chickens and coons.

i'll reply in a different thread... actually, no i won't, i read your other reply and you don't get it and what i said isn't being heard.

open your eyes, it's not about corrupt governments. it's about environmental destruction, and the basics driving that destruction are indeed being driven by humans and the whole system which we bring with us including our carnivorous pets.

that's it. i'm done. :)

Last edited:

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well I am sad to say that I have gone from 24 hens to 18. It's all my own doing, I forgot to lock them up a few times and coons got to them.
But on the other hand, I am happy to report that they have finally started laying eggs. I got the first one on Sunday afternoon. Today I got 3 regular eggs and one soft shell. But I also have one hen that is poking holes in the eggs she lays. Luckily, when the soft shell egg was laid, MontyJ was able to get it before we had all the chickens after it.
Not quite sure how to get her to stop pecking holes in the eggs. Advice is appreciated.

It's just due to the shells not being strong enough right now....it will pass. I've been keeping chickens for over 40 yrs now and never had a single "egg eater". They are ALL egg eaters if the opportunity presents itself and that often happens when birds are coming into and out of laying cycles.

I never think twice about feeding my chickens a raw egg...it won't "turn them into egg eaters", IME.

This will pass in a small while....meanwhile you'll get all kinds of suggestions on how to break an egg eater, then you'll implement them, which will coincide with approx. the time the shells firm up anyway and you'll think maybe that worked....but it's just like taking an antibiotic for the cold, which is useless but colds usually run their course in 14 days~about the time you will have taken the whole course of antibiotics, so it looks impressive.

What happens with all the offal from chicken slaughter facilities? Chicken guts go towards pet food. Feather meal is a source of protein.

Dang @baymule you sound like you know a thing or 2 about rendering. I work with a company that supplies the protein for dog food companies, been in pet food rendering for 25 years or so. The high end dog food proteins are processed the same way low end pet food is, only difference is the meat that is used. By the way, you are correct, feather meal is one of the highest source of pet food protein their is, upwards of 80%

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Will only say one thing Do you know how many thousands of people shelter, feed and cloth their families because they have jobs depending on our love for pets. From factory worker, to farmer to medical supply. Many families depend on the animal instrtuy for jobs.

Last edited:

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's just due to the shells not being strong enough right now....it will pass. I've been keeping chickens for over 40 yrs now and never had a single "egg eater". They are ALL egg eaters if the opportunity presents itself and that often happens when birds are coming into and out of laying cycles.

I never think twice about feeding my chickens a raw egg...it won't "turn them into egg eaters", IME.

This will pass in a small while....meanwhile you'll get all kinds of suggestions on how to break an egg eater, then you'll implement them, which will coincide with approx. the time the shells firm up anyway and you'll think maybe that worked....but it's just like taking an antibiotic for the cold, which is useless but colds usually run their course in 14 days~about the time you will have taken the whole course of antibiotics, so it looks impressive.

I have had one, only one, egg eater, a hen that purposely opened good eggs to eat. She demonstrated her talents in front of me. She went to the freezer the next day and that problem was solved. Like Bee said I've seen plenty of chickens eat an egg that was already broken but don't consider that a problem.

The hens walk on the eggs when they get on and off the nest. Their claws are pretty sharp. Dew, are you sure it is pecking and not that those claws are poking holes in soft-shelled or thin-shelled eggs?

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
i don't have faith. i prefer action and speaking out against abuses. people obviously don't want to hear that they are being greedy destructive monkeys and they want to dress those facts up in other deceptions, but that means they're often blatantly ignoring the teaching of their own religions (but they don't want to hear that either). note that one of those teachings is to share with each other if someone is in need. what happens when the wider world and nature is in need? why won't you share with them too?

And therein lies the source of your anxiety over the state of the world and thinking that man has the power to destroy this world. He doesn't.

Feeding dogs isn't the evil in this world, though I do agree that the growing love of animals over humans is evidence of the growing evil in this world.

dewdropsinwv

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@Ridgerunner I'm sure she was pecking holes in the end of the egg. the shells are pretty strong. I have only had one soft egg so far. I have 5 pullets laying, but the other 13 don't seem t be ready yet. I figure here in the next week or so they will all start laying. I have been watching them closely.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Dang @baymule you sound like you know a thing or 2 about rendering. I work with a company that supplies the protein for dog food companies, been in pet food rendering for 25 years or so. The high end dog food proteins are processed the same way low end pet food is, only difference is the meat that is used. By the way, you are correct, feather meal is one of the highest source of pet food protein their is, upwards of 80%
Feather meal analysizes very high in protein but for mammals it is 100% worthless. High in fiber......

Latest posts