New here from Ohio

CountryGirl

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Welcome, I am outside of Cincinnati on the Indiana side in Franklin County. I grew up in the Northgate area.:frow

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
hi Deb! good luck with the chickies in the garden! you'll find certain times of year they are welcome in the garden, usually while working the soil at the beginning or at the end while cleaning out any dead plants. i only let mine out in the garden when the plants were big enough to handle a little trimming and things weren't fully ripe to catch my girls eyes. i usually only let a few select girls or boys out at a time so they don't pull it all apart. i do keep my birds in an enclosure that is 8 feet tall and throw them plenty of scraps and green weeds they like. i don't have the run covered yet but my previous coop and run i covered in bird netting that was 14'x14'. there are some stronger types of netting out there but i found the bird netting cheap and i didn't need to order it.

DebFred

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I am getting fed up with my laptop. Just had a nice message written, hit submit, and it froze. AGAIN!!!

Any way. I want to know about planting blackberries, and raspberries. I know you have to watch them or they will take over. Been thinking about planting some around the perimeter of our back yard. Any suggestions? Words of wisdom?

Also thinking about fruit trees. Like peaches maybe apples. How long do they take to start bearing fruit?

I also want a snowball bush. Not a veggie, I know, but my Mamaw had one and I loved that thing. Made real pretty icing on mud pies...:)

I am getting excited for spring to get here. We got a pie the other day, and I didn't throw out the empty pie tin. Hubby said why is there an empty pie plate here? Told him I was saving it for my chickens. He just shook his head. He saves tin cans and turns them in for lead. He understands. He says the best thing he ever did was marry him a hillbilly. Most days anyway! He had never had soup beans till I made them. Poor deprived thing.

In the garden I want tomatoes. Know what kind, Big Boys or Beef Steaks. Like those real well. Not too sure about beans. What kind I mean. I will plant cucumbers, potatoes, squash, and ONE zucchini. Had three last year, and they were the only things to do well.

Well, rambled on too much, but I enjoy this. Kinda like sitting on the porch sipping on sweet tea, talking to a good neighbor.

Have a good weekend. Gonna be busy tomorrow, so may not be on here.

Deb

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
DebFred said:
I also want a snowball bush. Not a veggie, I know, but my Mamaw had one and I loved that thing. Made real pretty icing on mud pies...:)
:thumbsup Hydrangea...those are supposed to be really easy to start from cuttings, or so I heard recently. I will be giving my MIL's a "haircut" this spring.

DebFred said:
Well, rambled on too much, but I enjoy this. Kinda like sitting on the porch sipping on sweet tea, talking to a good neighbor.
That's for sure (and that's ok)! We're all about good conversation here. Especially if you don't have any friends or neighbors who understand your gardening addiction. ;)

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
My paniculata hydrangea takes root where a branch touches the ground. I didn't notice them doing this till I pruned them back this fall. They were taking over the north side of the house. Journey, I was going to comment on the proper time to prune hydrangeas, but what I read confused me as to what kind I have. I guess if I have no blooms this summer, I will know what I have.

RustyDHart

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Welcome.....From a neighbor just North of you in Michigan. I raise and show poultry, sheep, and Dahlias. I used to raise Rhinelander, Dutch, and Mini Rex rabbits. There are alot of really helpful people here with tons of experience and answers to any questions. Happy Holidays!!! Rusty (Irish Acres)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
DebFred said:
. . . Any way. I want to know about planting blackberries, and raspberries. I know you have to watch them or they will take over. Been thinking about planting some around the perimeter of our back yard. Any suggestions? Words of wisdom?

Also thinking about fruit trees. Like peaches maybe apples. How long do they take to start bearing fruit?. . .
Don't be like my parents who would never planted their own apple when I was growing up because it would take too long to fruit. Sometime after I was grown, I planted apple trees on my place. I don't know that they were over 3 years old when I moved them to my parents' backyard . . ha!

Mom & Dad stayed in that house for over 35 years and had lots of apples. The apples were dwarf and the semi-dwarfs did the best altho' I believe the real dwarf produced the first. It continued producing fruit for about 30 years . . . Then, the tree just kind of fell apart. I've little doubt that a Northern Spy semi-dwarf that was in my backyard in the mid-70's, is still there and producing well (in its "new" location ;)).

Blackberries and raspberries, I observe on my neighbors' property. There are, I think, 3 raspberry plants in my backyard. Of course, there could be many more since I'm always battling the neighbors' plants to keep them out of my garden! One neighbor has both blackberries & raspberries. That is, he may still have raspberries for another season but the blackberries are forcing them out! It isn't real obvious why that's happening. In the 15+ years I've been there, the blackberries, which sometimes have a real tough go of it thru a winter, have squeezed the raspberries all but completely out. So, my thinking is to keep these 2 separated.

Steve

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
let's see what i have here for useful fruit tree links! most fruit trees if you get them from a reliable garden center may only take a year or two to produce some fruit if they don't already have fruit setting on them when you buy them. it really depends on the age of the tree you are getting from them. if you are buying them as newly grafted trees it could take 3-5 years depending on type of fruit.

a nice place for started and professionally pruned trees is www.StarkBros.com
this might help you understand rootstock that some trees could be grafted to http://www.forfruittrees.com/stone_fruit.htm
good listing of most of the apple varieties out in the world http://www.orangepippin.com/apples
if you're ordering from any supplier or someplace local and you are curious about their reputation i use this to look them up! http://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/
i've been looking this company over the past couple nights and might see about ordering some trees from them. per DavesGarden they seem to have a good reputation. http://oikostreecrops.com/store/home.asp
i like this site as a reference for apple, pear and plum trees http://www.maplevalleyorchards.com/Pages/ScionWood.aspx
good info for what trees are needed for cross pollination, pruning, pests, diseases, etc http://www.pots2plots.com/Growing Fruit.htm

if you are thinking about starting any fruit trees from seeds it could take 10 years for them to produce and they aren't always true to the parent plant. be wary of anyone selling apple seeds from certain varieties, apples need to be cross pollinated with another type of tree and it could be a crab apple.

this isn't fruit trees but i always find it interesting since it lists a lot of veggies and info like how well they will do in certain areas of the country http://cuke.hort.ncsu.edu/cucurbit/wehner/vegcult/vgclintro.html

DebFred

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Thank you for the links on the fruit trees. I will probably look at a few nurseries around here first. I know I would like a peach tree and an apple tree. But we will see.

As for the snowball bush, I guess those will be easier to find than I thought. Thanks for letting me know they are hydrangeas. Helps a lot. I want to get some succulents as well. I have some hens and chicks. Love them.

Still thinking about the garden and chickens together. Probably only at the end and start of the growing season.

When you all plants beans, what kind do you plant? I mean green beans. AND how do you plant pinto beans? I love me some soup beans and cornbread!!! Hubby never had it till we got together, poor baby.

Thanks again you all.

Latest posts