New here from Ohio

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
'Deb, you may have to please 'Fred with your variety choice. That is the way it is around here. I think DW is mostly concerned about looks but tenderness might play a role.

She likes Jade green beans. I'd prefer Greencrop. Now, we are talking about bush beans, right?

I don't want to go off like with a dry bean scheme, especially since I don't know much about them. I have grown Pintos, however, and know that they are kind of a "half-runner" type. There may be green bean half-runners but I don't know. Pole beans, I've grown Rattlesnake beans and a Rattlesnake-type for the last 5 or 10 years and like them fine. Not surprisingly, DW essentially eats none of those . . .

Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
DebFred said:
As for the snowball bush, I guess those will be easier to find than I thought. Thanks for letting me know they are hydrangeas. Helps a lot. I want to get some succulents as well. I have some hens and chicks. Love them.
Common names can be so confusing! "Snowball" bush is also used for certain viburnums. So when you go to nurseries in your search you may want to discuss them both and see which one you want.

DebFred

Leafing Out
Reaction score
DiditS, Fred loves pintos now. I will plant so we both like the harvests of our labors. :) As for the other beans, I mean like string beans, the green ones. I know there are several different ones. Have to ask my neighbor across the road. A friend of mine likes "greasy beans." Can't remember if I've ever had those. More to beans than even I thought. I remember my Mamaw and Papaw stringing beans on well, string, and letting them dry. I don't think I liked those. But love green beans with new potatoes and ham. With cornbread and green onions. Yummy!

ThistleBloom, good advice on the different names. I'll definitely take my time getting the one I want. I also want a purple rosebush. Have for years, but leery of ordering them online for some reason. Any info on that?

Well, I will try to not ramble on too much tonight. Got research to do on how chickens, ummm, well, procreate....

Deb

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Many nurseries carry Weeks Roses, which are very good. You can also order from them on line.They're a reputable company, so you shouldn't have any worries there. They carry a rose called "Burgundy Iceberg" which is related to the original white Iceberg rose that's very popular and been around forever. The Icebergs ( there's also a pretty pink one ) are super bloomers and fragrant.

You can look at them online before you shop to narrow down what you like.

Jackson and Perkins is also supposed to be a good company, but I don't have any experience with them.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'll vouch for Jackson & Perkins roses. I bought several bare root many years ago, and they did well. Just gotta follow the instructions for bare root--can't just stick them in the ground without soaking first. J & P has had the David Austin old English roses. I have an "Othello" that is the most beautiful dark red cabbage rose. Unfortunately, the rootstock is trying to take over. I'm gonna give it a good trim and try to get rid of the rootstock sprouts.

DebFred

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I will definitely check these sites out.

Thanks!! :rose

joz

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
My grandparents had a snowball bush too. :)

It's not a hydrangea tho... it's definitely a Viburnum. They're still not hard to find.

Google "Snowball Viburnum" and you'll get a bunch of info.

Latest posts