New here from Ohio

DebFred

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Hi All,

Just found this site courtesy of BYC and BYH. I am looking forward to learning more about gardens, and meeting new friends! I am in the Cincinnati area of Ohio. We plan on a bigger garden this coming year. Also starting with chickens and rabbits. I want to learn how to use the chickens in my garden. We don't have much room. Only about half an acre, but that won't deter an ole hillbilly like me. I won't be able to let the chickens free range since we don't have a fenced yard. Not sure I want to anyway. We live in a pretty rural area. So the chickens and rabbits and garden won't be any thing unusual around here.

Deb

Mickey328

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Welcome! You'll find the folk here extraordinarily friendly and helpful; I have :) Hubby is from OH as well, but we live in Colorado. We only have about a quarter acre, but if it's done well, it's amazing what you can grow. We got our chickens last July and are planning rabbits for the spring. I've been stashing away cash and almost have enough now to order the cages. For now (who knows what will happen when we actually get into it?) we just plan 2 does and a buck and to breed for the freezer. I would recommend rabbittalk.com as a great forum for rabbits; I've gathered a LOT of info there.

:welcome

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome, sounds like you will have a very nice garden with animals. Like NYboy says, you have quite a bit of space. Imagine me in a small city lot. But I can sure pack it in! :cool:

Mary

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome! Welcome! The best part about chickens and gardens- is the chicken poop! Composted chicken poop makes the most incredible fertilizer. Good luck- keep us posted on your plans!

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Free ranging is not a good idea anyway unless you have your garden fenced in. Ask me how I know this. But I sure love that chicken poop! Right now my chickens run for the garden as soon as I let them out of their yard. They have free range of the garden, gate open, till I start needing to plant in the spring. Then it is off limits again. I thought they would leave my full grown mustard greens alone this fall, but no, they stripped it to the ribs. It may start growing again in the spring, tho, once I close the gate. Welcome to our forum. We'll be glad to hear about your chicken/rabbit/garden adventures.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
:welcome glad to have you here. Everyone is so friendly and helpful. You will get all kinds of great information and make a few friends along the way.

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Welcome! I love people from Ohio. I live in SE Ohio in Perry County, zone 5b AKA "God's Country". I know you will love it here.

Latest posts