New Hoop House for the horse! (pict heavy)

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, I guess that will depend on the horse. If she has been getting good use out of it I will probably let her keep it as long as she needs it.
But, it was so much easier to set up than I thought that I might just pick up another panel and make a 4'x8'x6' greenhouse if I decide that I need one.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good Job! I helped DH lift an bend the panel for our arch. You did it yourself! :bowYou are amazing. :)

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cane , has your mare had her teeth floated ? If not, that could be the eat slow and in spurts problem.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yea, checking her teeth is part of her regular vet visits. Everytime I call to schedule a farm call he says, "Good grief! Is that horse still alive!!!???"
rofl.gif
Her problem - other than not having very many teeth left - is that she really seems to forget WHY she was at the barn. She wanders off, grazes a little, naps a little, then suddenly her head will come up and she will head for the barn like she's just remembered that the feed bucket is there. She'll eat a little more, nap a little more, then wander off again for a while. She's in her own little world most of the time. As long as she manages to get around, eat her feed, recognize me, and not injure herself; I just work to keep her comfortable.
Here she is saying "put that little house right here, this is a good spot." :)
DSCF0155.JPG

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cane, you might have something there.......open up a nursing home for old horses with alzheimers.......

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Yea, checking her teeth is part of her regular vet visits. Everytime I call to schedule a farm call he says, "Good grief! Is that horse still alive!!!???" View attachment 641 Her problem - other than not having very many teeth left - is that she really seems to forget WHY she was at the barn. She wanders off, grazes a little, naps a little, then suddenly her head will come up and she will head for the barn like she's just remembered that the feed bucket is there. She'll eat a little more, nap a little more, then wander off again for a while. She's in her own little world most of the time. As long as she manages to get around, eat her feed, recognize me, and not injure herself; I just work to keep her comfortable.
Here she is saying "put that little house right here, this is a good spot." :)
View attachment 642

OMG, Cane, she sounds exactly like the 15 y/o dog we're fostering. He's too skinny, so 3 meals a day, kibbles with yogurt and quinoa...he'll eat for a while, then wander away unless you're standing there to remind him there's more food to be eaten! As soon as you point it out to him, he'll chow down again...then eventually forget and start to walk away again! He's a goofball, lately he's really settled into the house routine, hardly ever has an accident in the house anymore, and we dont have to lock him in a crate while we're gone anymore. Anyway, kudos to you for taking such good care of your baby!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
:thumbsup That is great that she isn't spooked at all. Gotta love cattle panels...so useful! We made a smaller version like yours, except with EMC pipe, for the goat we had for awhile (fostered).

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
DH 'found' a puppy the size of a large cup walking down the snowy road (where he'd been dumped off to die) during the coldest day of the year. DH stuck him under his shirt and came to school to pick me up.

We named him Lucky Bucky. A long-haird dog who was always running through the burdocks and other seedy weeds, he was an outside dog. When he was 17, I took him to the groomer for a shave. He stepped out of the car with his 'new' look, walked into the house, and became an inside dog from that day. At 18 or 19 years old he (I think) had a stroke. Saw him looking down the driveway one morning. About three hours later we noticed he was in the same spot, not moving. I had to carry him back to the house and help him up and down the stairs for a week or more before he seemed to 'come back' to himself.

Thought about putting him down at that time, but he wasn't in pain, ate as usual, and seemed to behave pretty normally. Lucky Bucky lived another year before he wandered off one day to die in the woods.

Senior pets can be a challenge at times, but as family members they deserve the extra care as long as quality of life can be preserved.

Latest posts