New "life" into old things

Gnome_Czech

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Much to my husband's chagrin, I took an old cabinet, removed the doors, set it on it's back and filled it with compost, fresh green for decomposting, organic amended soil, and am getting ready to put seeds in it. I've been battling the gophers for so long and my raised beds aren't building themselves, so I took things into my own hands!!

I've had to use pots and strange looking gardening 'containers' supposed to look like wood, etc. I'm tired of waiting and I know he has even less time than I do to get this done, so I just went with it. I still have 2 other cabinets that I can utilize. I've even threatened to by one of those larger 2' high kiddie pools and filling that up with soil.

My soil is DG, the gophers are too numerous to fight with, and it's recycling, so I don't see a problem with it. Maybe I'll start a trend?

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Recycle, Reuse!! That is my motto! I have used old dresser drawers, and cabinets for cold frames, with great success...Go for it!

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I love seeing pics of gardens with repurposed materials in them! Post a pic once you get it set up, and maybe it will inspire someone else! :)

Gnome_Czech

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I got a big box of lily "bulb" on clearance at The Home Depot that I put in the back of the cabinet. They weren't bulbs, they were albino plants! there was no way I could get them separated so I just set the whole sad mess in. I could see lots and lots of tiny seed bulbs all over the place, so I will have lots of dividing to do!!

Same row, just other side, I put in some lemon cukes with tomato cages so they can trellis up those and then onto the climbing rose that I have this cabinet up against.

In the next row, I have basil and celery and collard greens and in front of those I have 4 little stevia.

So much for using it for just herbs.

Gnome_Czech

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Now that things are coming up in the cabinet bed, I'd like to post pics but I'm 100% a no-go when it comes to posting pics on here. If I can email them to someone, can you help me post?

Maybe someone could walk me thru step by step?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
G_C, see that green bar just about 2" down on your TEG webpage?

It says, "Index User List . . ." . . . "Uploads."

1. Click "Uploads."

2. On that page, click "Browse."

3. Find your picture on your computer. (You have taken the picture out of your camera and put it in the computer, right?) It should be in your Pictures folders.

4. Click "Open" and the TEG gallery will upload your picture!!!

5. Click on the "Image" information and copy that. (I do a right click with the mouse and then copy . . .)

6. Paste it in your TEG Message box and Submit!

Steve

4989_joe_btfsplk.jpg