New member from Vermont

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
A much belated thank you to everyone for the kind welcome messages! So Lucky, yes the turf mat in some places (drier, rocky areas) was difficult. I have 3 perennial beds in such a place that took both the hubby and me days of digging/hacking with a shovel to plant, but in wetter areas the ground is more forgiving. I think I have planted my last trees and perennial plants, but I have said that before!

Haha seedcorn! I love the northeast but not the long winters, and I'm envious of all the plants that my southern neighbors are able to grow.

Nice to have international members in this group, Thejenx. I always feel like I'm travelling without leaving home when I view photos from afar.

Truer words were never spoken than yours, Flowerbug! Everything is always a work in progress, and Mother Nature has had a large say in much of the evolution here. I started out trying to control everything, and then realized the futility of that. Now I grow what seems to be happy here. Also I have come to appreciate the wildlife that our new partially wooded landscape has attracted. I avoid the use of almost all toxic chemicals (except for hornet killer - I co-exist with the bumble bees but the wasps have to go! Shudder!).

Thistlebloom, from your profile picture it looks like you have horses. I miss ours. :-(

Ridgerunner, I will try to post a few photos. Basically I think I am done, but the look of everything will change as the trees grow up. Here goes nothing with the photos. This may be a learning curve for me!

Our barn and part of our old pasture fence that we left in place for nostalgic purposes. This rugosa rose growing along the fence would have been eaten by horses back in the day. This is part of our pasture behind the house and the young trees bordering the neighbors' land are some that we are growing.

JADuiMC.jpg

My "orange garden" which started out to be multi-colored, but only orange flowers would grow, so I just went with the flow. The birdhouse sits atop an old utility pole (turned into a bottle tree) that the marble company sawed off when they gave up their right-of-way that ran over our property. Birdhouse needs a paint touch-up, but it's currently home to a pair of tree swallows, so that will have to wait until the little ones have flown.

d5c8jxj.jpg

This whimsical garden borders on our brook and wetland area, and is home to my two garden gnomes. It is transitioning from a sunny garden to a shade one because of a grove of quaking aspens that have grown up behind it.

TaBJ5lD.jpg

And lastly, these are the perennial beds that we had such difficulty digging in the rocky, hard packed surface. Behind these beds on the slope is our young pine and hardwood forest.

gJcpebF.jpg

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
the only hornets i get after around here are those that get on the eves of the house. i just go out in the early morning when it is cool and knock the nests down. the raccoons come around later at night and eat them. no poison needed, just a stick long enough to knock the nests down. :)

with the many decorations and rocks here the wasps/hornets often will set up shop among those too, but most of the time i don't bother to get rid of them because the raccoons search around for their nests to eat and they do a pretty good job of getting them. rarely if i need to work in a specific area and there is an active nest do i resort to hornet spray, but i really don't like the stuff. i'd almost rather get stung or go do something else and take the nest out in the cooler morning the next day. covering up well when doing so can prevent some stings.

i'm glad i'm not allergic to bee stings. not many here over the years considering how many bees, hornets and wasps we do have. almost all of them are from accidents where the bees have gotten trapped in my clothes or i've grabbed one by mistake...

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Nyboy, that purple flower is phlox (as are the red and pink flowers in the distance to the upper left). However the flowers in the lower right in the foreground are bee balm which had gone by at the time the picture was taken. The bee balm originally stowed in as a single stalk amidst a pot of the phlox (of the same color) that you asked about. Now, 5 or 6 years later, it outnumbers the phlox but both seem to be co-existing.

Most of the flowers in these beds are phlox and daylilies, with some daffodils and iris that bloom early.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
@SPedigrees everything looks so beautiful. Welcome from Eastern Iowa where we garden on 2 acres. Some fruit trees, TOO MANY Raised beds and lots of flowers. I have to have my flowers. :) Living in IA I have been able to stay pretty neutral on the North vs the South issue. LOL Glad to see you jumped right in. You are going to enjoy it here.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome! I love all that space that you have. I find open space very soothing. Looking forward to getting to know you.

Mary (I think I'm an adopted southerner, haha.)

Latest posts