"New-Old" Members that Haven't Been Around

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, there's supposedly 4,283 members. We only hear from 30 or so, tops. I guess people just lose interest, or maybe we lost some in the conversion and they just wrote us off.:(

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
SeedO', I had to look for @M.A.R. ! Zero posts ... must have joined to send you a private message?

I really hope that we provide enuf gardening emphasis to keep most folks with that interest around. Maybe, it takes too much of a commitment for some ... not quite as easy as they had hoped ... or, we are just too nutz for 'em.

There have been several who's absence makes me a little sad. I'm afraid some attrition is to be expected if'n we are around long enuf. Aging is a matter of good fortune, one neighbor tells me ...

Steve

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yeah when gardening season rolls around we'll probably talk a lot more about gardening, but right now it's mostly friends chatting. I'm OK with that but I can see where it might turn some folks off. We'll get a lot of new members when it warms up and lose most of them, but a few will stick.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think we're all happy to talk about any gardening topics that come up. If somebody has a question about something garden related, people jump in and converse.

Go to a garden club meeting sometime. There's garden talk and there's life events (and non events) being discussed also.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I always send non-participating members a private birthday greeting and invitation to stop back for a chat. Most of them have 3 or less posts and a "last seen" date of only a couple of days from their sign-up date. Only a few ever respond privately and none on site.

I suspect they were just looking and didn't find what they wanted or expected.

As for attrition, when I no longer post here it will be because I can't. There will be no 'smiles jr' to share a reason.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
M.A.R. last year traded bean seeds with me. I actually just a few days ago messaged him about how they grew and what they were like.

2 that he sent to me are very old family heirloom Limas from his Grandmother in Puerto Rico.

One at first I thought was the same as Christmas Lima, but there are definitely some differences. His family heirloom is fatter, and the white portion is a soft off white. The pods take a bit longer to ripen. His Grandmother called it Speckled Lima. These are a true treasure heirloom Lima.

The other Lima he sent only one sprouted. He had told me they were old seeds. The one that sprouted did so very late, and I could not keep it from getting crowded. Tried to keep it alive through this mild winter, but I think it didn't make it. These are a small butterbean type lima, very beige colored. I have 3 seeds left to attempt to grow this coming season.

He also sent me his Grandmother's Pigeon pea.

SeedO, you grow Pigeon Peas, right? Want me to mail you some?

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
somebody mentioned
DSC_0003.JPG

Latest posts