new to compost

ksct

Sprout
Reaction score
Can someone help me with compost....
how to begin?
Is there a 'compost for dummies' section?
We have chickens and would like to utilize the droppings etc.

thanks for any and all help!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome! Welcome! Do a search for composting on here- Boggy is the king of compost! You will find all kinds of good info. The thing to remember with chicken poop- is that the poop itself composts pretty quick. If you use wood chips, they take a little longer than forever to compost. So, I recommend two separate piles for that...I like to spread the poop on the garden through the fall and winter and then till it, in the spring. I am sure you already know, that you shouldn't use the chicken poop when it is fresh, as it is too "hot" and will burn your plants. Good luck!!!!

boggybranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
lesa said:
Welcome! Welcome! Do a search for composting on here- Boggy is the king of compost! You will find all kinds of good info. The thing to remember with chicken poop- is that the poop itself composts pretty quick. If you use wood chips, they take a little longer than forever to compost. So, I recommend two separate piles for that...I like to spread the poop on the garden through the fall and winter and then till it, in the spring. I am sure you already know, that you shouldn't use the chicken poop when it is fresh, as it is too "hot" and will burn your plants. Good luck!!!!
Hahahahaha...lesa is tooo kind....I'm more like the court jester of compost....cause I'm a fool about it.

Rio_Lindo_AZ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Through stuff in a pile and let it sit.

There's nothing complicated about it. Everything has to rot sometime!

There's only 1 thing for sure in life...death, and that everything decomposes.

ksct

Sprout
Reaction score
wow thanks for this info! LESA - looks like we're NY nighbors and BYC neighbors too. (I posted a similiar question on there and you posted a similiar answer. lol)
When you say you seperate the wood chips and the poo..... is that becuase you have a dropping board?
If I keep the poo and the wood chips together will that speed up the wood chips?

If I were to start a compost pile this summer or fall.... should it be good to use in the spring for next year in the garden?

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi! Yes, I have a droppings board and I pick up stray poop plops in the coop (with garden gloves, of course!) Nothing speeds up the wood chips, except time and lots of it! One thing I did this year- in a flower garden I spread wood chips mixed with poop onto the surface in winter. Come spring I just raked it all in. I don't think a few wood chips are going to hurt... we'll see. If you compost waste from your coop, it should be ready in spring. I don't mean it will look like "dirt" but it won't be too hot for your garden. Happy Gardening!

ksct

Sprout
Reaction score
thanks for all the GREAT help!
we are going to be doing the compost as soon as we have time to make the dropping board in our chicken coop.
one questions about the compost 'pile' - does anyone have 'walls' around it? wire, pallets etc or just put it in a pile?
I think i'd like to do some kind of 'wall' using the term loosely of course.

THANKS!!!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
You can certainly do "walls". Many use pallets or even a wire cage. Mine butts up against a chain link fence and I have chicken wire across the front. But, "pile composting" works too! Keep us posted on your progress!!

Latest posts