New to Gardening- what do I do!

kritterkeeper

Sprout
Reaction score
HI Everyone-

Okay I have been married to a wonderful man for 20 yrs... and have fought tooth and nail not to have to do a garden-

I grew up in the city- he grew up in the country on a farm with a mom and dad who grew A LOT of stuff... but he does not have the time to spend gardening and would love me to do one.. So one of the things I would like to do to make him happy this year is attempt to plant a veggie garden..

I need big time help-

We have a small bed with fence around it so the chickens, goats and rabbits can not get too it last year I planted tom and got 3 or 4..

So I need big time help..

First we live in the middle of Michigan..

So when do I start
How do I start...
Do you start some in the house and when
When do you put them outside
How do you start them in the house
What are the best seeds
or should you use plants already started from the local greenhouse..

I need a check list

Thank you

Donna B

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
:welcome I hope you find us helpful, but I hope you find gardening as enjoyable as we do. This group sure is a lot of help.

I'm thinking you are in Zone 4. Here is a link to a site with zone planting dates, it also includes details on how to plant seeds and when and how far apart.

http://www.thevegetablegarden.info/resources/planting-schedules/zones-3-4-planting-schedule

Now my question to you, is did you start your tomatoes last year from seed directly sewn into the dirt, or did you plant purchased plants? Do you remember when you put them into the ground? It sounds like a late planting on a long season variety where the tomatoes ran out of time to grow and ripen.

I have a nice list of types that do well for you, and should be good for your summer season and climate:
Slicers:
Brandywine
Earlygirl
Better Boy
Beefsteak
Cherries:
Super Sweet 100
Black cherry
Sungold
Riesenstraube
Canning:
Roma
Amish Paste
San Marzano
Pear:
Yellow Pear
Juilet
Non-Red
Black Krim
Green Zebra
Kellogg's Breakfast

I hope you find some of that useful. You still have a little while to think about it though.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
There really is no right and wrong way to garden. Sure, you could start seeds in the house. There is a recent thread on the pros and cons. If you really want to increase your success rate, and you don't mind spending a little money- I would recommend buying a few transplants from a local greenhouse. If you want to experiment with seeds try something foolproof- like lettuces or radish. Don't put too much pressure on yourself. You've still got a couple months before real planting begins- you could spread out some of that poop that your animals are producing and build up your soil, until then. How large is the garden area that you are planning on using? Good luck - remember this should be fun!!! Enjoy! Welcome!!!

kritterkeeper

Sprout
Reaction score
Q
uote from vfem: Now my question to you, is did you start your tomatoes last year from seed directly sewn into the dirt, or did you plant purchased plants? Do you remember when you put them into the ground? It sounds like a late planting on a long season variety where the tomatoes ran out of time to grow and ripen.
Answer: if I had know how my spring and summer would turn out I would have not even thought about a garden... first I started my plants in the house way to early like I am ashamed to say the end of march- out of excitement I guess.. then in April my Mom went in to the hospital and from April to the end of June is a blur with the passing of both my parents so the

Tom being the only thing that had survived all of this, went in the ground in July and we got 3 or 4 nice tom out of them.... and a lot of weeds...

Donna B

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Don't stress, life takes the cake when it comes to gardening. Weeds run a muck and its no big deal. It happens to everyone.

Start small, get yourself settling in with something easy.

I like Lesa's idea to just buy a few starts when they're in season for the big stuff, and maybe start off with some easy stuff from seed like radish and lettuce. Then if you like it, and it went good for you this year... just try a few new things next year. Ect ect... until you are comfortable.

Catalina

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Hi there :frow

I would suggest some short season tomatoes. Under 80 days. That way you will get some fruit! And maybe buy started tomatoes - that will take the stress out of starting them.

Do you have other veggies you want to grow?
Raised beds?
And how big (in feet) is your garden?

kritterkeeper

Sprout
Reaction score
Thank you! '

I want tom so i can learn to can them, potatoes, zucchini, lettuce, pumpkins, and watermelon

Donna

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
You will need to know your average last spring frost date, Donna. This will help you with knowing when to sow or set-out those warm-season vegetables, especially.

See if you can find your location on this Frost Date webpage. Hardiness zones are useful for perennial plants that have to survive your winter but vegetables are mostly annual plants. Still, your location indicates that you are in a pretty cold part of the world.

I think Catalina is right and that you'd be better with varieties that take less than 80 days to mature a crop. You may even want those where the claim is that they take less than 70 days. I suspect that the tomato variety you had last year may be suitable and mostly just had a tough time of it.

As mentioned, lettuce and radish should be easy and things to start off real early. Potatoes can't take a frost but won't usually venture above ground until late enuf to avoid a freeze. They can also be planted early.

Those other things . . . you will need to know when it is safe to set them out or when the soil is warm enuf for their seeds to begin to grow. Then, not earlier than 2 weeks after last Spring frost is the usual "rule of thumb." It is still a good idea to have something handy to cover them if a late frost is possible.

It takes a few seasons of growing to get things down. Best of Luck!

Steve

Latest posts