New to Gardening- what do I do!

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi, welcome to TEG! :)

The first thing I'd suggest is trying to improve your soil as much as possible. The better your soil is, the easier and more productive your gardening will be. Do the jar test to figure out what its composition is like (clayey, sandy, loamy, what?), then add a bunch of organic matter and work on removing all perennial weed roots. A pH or nutrient test is useful (or anyhow entertaining) to some, but not absolutely essential in most cases.

Then, I'd suggest concentrating on a small number of easy crops, no larger an area of garden than you can EASILY keep weeded etc during the worst of the summer season.

IMHO the easiest and most rewarding crops are lettuce (start from seed, either indoors under lights or later outdoors), tomatoes (start under lights indoors, or buy transplants from garden center, get an early variety or a cherry tomato if you had trouble last year) and beans (direct-sow a week or so after your last frost of the year). So I would suggest maybe making those the main part of your garden. Of course you can also try a *little* bit of a couple of other things that particularly interest you if you want... but I would advise against being too ambitious if you are prone to discouragement.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Ladyhawke1

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
kritterkeeper said:
Thank you! '

I want tom so i can learn to can them, potatoes, zucchini, lettuce, pumpkins, and watermelon

Donna
You sound like me. "I want to do it all, and I want to do it NOW!
:ya :weee :ya

kritterkeeper

Sprout
Reaction score
Thank you so much for all the wonderful advice...

this is a very serious addiction you have just entered in to

welcome to our support group
great that's all i need is another addiction,

goats, chickens, dogs, Coke- the kind you drink..LOL

I am sure once I get the hang of it I will really enjoy it.

Donna B

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
kritterkeeper said:
Thank you so much for all the wonderful advice...

this is a very serious addiction you have just entered in to

welcome to our support group
great that's all i need is another addiction,

goats, chickens, dogs, Coke- the kind you drink..LOL

I am sure once I get the hang of it I will really enjoy it.

Donna B
sorry but too late it all perpetuates each other!!!

and look at all the poo!!! omg how can you not garden with all that poo ...plus you will have zero zip waste with those critters! (you can compost dog poo for ornamentals only however but your probably know that >>I have mine trained to poop on top of the flowerbed compost pile!!! )

I like Coke too :) but drink water instead ..well not always after a long day of gardening I feel like a champ and will down a Coke

Latest posts