New to TEG

Chicken Wrangler

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Howdy, I am a member of BYC and BYH. I have some fruit trees and I am hoping one day to make a garden so I can grow a lot of food for myself and my animals. I am from Florida and it’s finally cooling down so I’m hoping I can soon get some more plants.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
welcome to TEG from mid-Michigan. :) it is a whole different planet down there for gardening from what we are used to doing up here, but we do like to live and garden vicariously through others in the south and those in the other hemisphere too. :)

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome from Texas! Glad to have you here. You could go buy a few cool season vegetable plants to plant now. Things like cabbage, broccoli, green onions (they are usually sold in bunches) and cauliflower will grow now. Buying a few plants is a good way to get your feet in the dirt, LOL

Chicken Wrangler

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Welcome from Texas! Glad to have you here. You could go buy a few cool season vegetable plants to plant now. Things like cabbage, broccoli, green onions (they are usually sold in bunches) and cauliflower will grow now. Buying a few plants is a good way to get your feet in the dirt, LOL
Yea, I am probably gonna grow cabbage. I still have to pick some things I want to grow, but cabbage is probably on the list.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't know how far south you are in Florida but I'm in zone 9 in Louisiana. I just got cabbage and broccoli starts and set them in the garden. I can't find cauliflower starts, they are hard to find this year, but I'll go out later this morning looking for them. I also just sowed seeds for chard, kale, mustard greens, collards, beets, radishes, carrots, turnips, and lettuce. Most of this can handle a light frost but if it is forecast to be that cold I'll cover them with sheets I got really cheaply at a thrift store.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome from the SF bay area. This year I decided not to plant a fall garden. I am heavily composting and planting fava beans as a cover crop instead. Need to improve my soil for spring.

Mary