new yorker tomato

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
you guys...

one yellow jacket nest? one?! we have many around here with all the rocks. the raccoons come through at night and search for them and eat them. i have to go around the house eves once a week (in the early morning when it is cool is the best time) and knock them down. i leave them on the ground for the raccoons to eat too.

i've been stung maybe 4 times in 20yrs from hornets, yellow jackets. stung maybe 3 times from bees/bumble bees (one time from grabbing seeds and got a flower with a bumble bee in it by mistake). honey bees, don't think i've ever been stung by them here. but so often out working in gardens and there are thousands of bees all around. as long as you don't get them trapped in the clothes they usually don't bother me. i certainly don't swat at them or freak out. just move a little slow so they can fly around and watch where i'm putting my hands if i'm picking flowers.

wasps/hornets are the spider and eggs, larva and caterpillar eaters (but some of the birds will hunt for spiders around the eves of the house at times too).

i try to keep the house sealed up well enough that wasps/hornets won't be able to get in the walls/eaves. a few summers ago the mason bees found a gap in the garden shed wall and it took some time to get them out of there. they are like hornets in that they can sting more than once. once i got them out of there i used the spray foam to seal it all up better (to keep the mice out of the walls too). now i'm waiting for some year when i get caught up on projects again (hahahahaha...) where i can put up some scrap wall tile in there to make sure the mice can't chew back in again...

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I always find them the hard way lol. Thank god I not allergic lol. I think last year was a record for stings, I must have got more than 10 over the season.
A close friend who is an er doctor told my husband that after you have a lot of stings at once you could at some point have an allergic reaction.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks, Nyboy, I got mine today too. I'm gonna wait a while before I plant them, though. I'm always too early.
It was 75 degrees here today. I checked out my soggy garden today; there are zillions of cornflower and larkspur starts, and my chives is popping up.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yup that toaster oven will be a nice addition to the house here.....

I see how it is...
Now you went from toaster to toaster oven?
What's next, a new Wolf range?
upload_2018-2-21_8-28-54.jpeg

Hahaha!

Latest posts