new yorker tomato

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
we have a lot of green tomatoes at the end of the season, when we've had more plants for putting up a lot more tomatoes we'll put the green ones on tables in the garage and they'll ripen. sometimes we've canned tomatoes in late Oct early Nov from these. as long as they don't get frozen they'll ripen. they may not taste as good as vine ripened but they are acceptable, especially when you use them in sauces with spices and meats anyways.

and of course, fried green tomato sandwiches... *sigh*

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
It makes more sense for me to plant mostly determinate

Ten or so years ago we grew Rutger determinate tomato’s. If I remember right we had 8 plants and harvested if I remember right like 85lbs of ripe tomatoes around the size of tennis balls. You may be on to something with the determinates, I might go back to them myself.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
The thing about determinant plants is that they will adjust better to the weather (hurry up & bear/ripen) as they feel days getting shorter. Where indeterminates think they will live forever and feel no such compulsion.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I love indeterminates because I don't want to do all my canning at once and in a rush before the crop rots. I like canning when I want to do so and not in never ending large batches that go on for days.

I could care less about getting a tomato earlier and love the green tomatoes we get near the end of summer....right when I need them to can corn.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Beekissed I’m with you on that. Determinate always seem to come on here at the worst possible time. Assuming the same day length, determinate or indeterminate should bear at the same time. When they stop bearing should be the largest difference until you plant them late or way up north.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
todays yorker .....oh never made it into the house..
IMG_1880[1].JPG