newbie from Georgia

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
:welcome Dandelionchick! :frow

I mostly cultivate dandelions by accident, but I harvest and use mine too. ;) One of the most tonic herbs there is. I'd read somewhere recently that they are seriously starting to investigate dandelion root as a something that shrinks cancer tumors.

Can't wait to see pics/hear more about your winter veggies in tunnels. How big are they and how are they constructed, btw? I've done low tunnels (row covers on hoops covered by 6mil clear plastic) and it's so nice to extend the fresh harvest.

Hop right in and have fun! :)

dandelionchick

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Hi Journey11 Mine are made from 2x4" welded wire covered with 6 mil plastic and are about 3 feet high and 4 feet wide and anywhere from 4' to 10 ' long, I have a few. More functional than pretty. LOL We have a lot of strong wind and stormy weather here and these hold up and don't blow away but if it snows (almost never) these collapse under the weight. I'm hoping to build new ones out of livestock panels cut to size and hooped to shape. It'll be sturdy and easy to harvest/weed/care for through and I can stand them on their side in the summer and use them for tomato cages. Right now I have to move the entire tunnel to do much work.
Can't wait! Lately I've been shopping for plastic and WOW
:th has that gone up! Oh well gotta have it ! :)

StupidBird

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Hi, everyone! I'm from NE Atlanta suburbs...way outside the perimeter.

Dandelionchick, can you describe how you fasten the plastic sheeting to the welded wire fencing used to make your low tunnels? We have such swings in temperatures every winter I am constantly moving the plastic on and off. Or do you have other methods for not steam cooking your vegetables before harvest?

And I also eat dandelions, chickweed, purslane and have tried plant ago, dock, etc. the chickens get lots too.

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I dont have a tunnel, but over our greenhouse we had to figure out how to hold the plastic down to the wire. We ended up with recycled bike inner tubes tied together over top of the plastic, works great!

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome to TEG, dandelionchick! I am almost through gardening for the year. I spent the day cleaning up in the garden. I typically have zone fever (severe envy) in the winter, but I still love "gardening" vicariously through ya'll in warmer climes.

I remember my spouse's grandmother never felt spring had arrived until she had her yearly "mess of dandelion greens". I've picked 'em and I've cooked 'em, but I've never had the inclination to eat them. I also have helped a neighbor pick flowers for his dandelion wine. Of course I was too young for a taste of it back then, but Mom and Dad said it was pretty good.

I read in a catalog that dandelions are finicky and need rich fertile soil to grow well. Makes me wonder why the ones around here do so well in cracks and crannies. I do serve them from time to time as Rusty, my fertilizer rabbit, enjoys his dandelion snacks.

It is good to have you growing with us here at TEG!

dandelionchick

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Hi StupidBird, NE Atlanta suburbs, I used to live in Lilburn years ago. Howdy neighbor! :) Used to love going to Stone Mountain. Later we lived up toward Gainesville and now we live up near Toccoa, Ga. I live out in the country so I only worry about my plants and the weather, not so much about looks because we don't get many guest out here so what I do is set up the frame then lay the plastic over so there is plenty of overlap on both sides and I use heavy boards to weigh down the plastic. I leave plenty on each end to close the frame. To neaten it up, you can roll up the plastic around the boards making sure plastic is tight across the frame. If you have a wood frame, you can then nail the board and the plastic to the frame. It looks nice and neat that way. Keep 2 large stones handy on each end to close the ends with especially on cold windy days or if its warm and windy I open the frame on each end by folding the plastic back on the frame and putting a stone on the plastic on each side making sure it tight against the frame so it can't blow. I've been doing this for years and so far haven't had to much trouble from the wind tearing plastic off. If its closed and windy it seems to stay put, open and windy makes things more difficult. Luckily here in Georgia when we get those cold fronts blowing through its usually cold enough to keep it buttoned up tight..
Hope this helps. :)

dandelionchick

Leafing Out
Reaction score
NwMtGardener- What a great way to recycle inner tubes! Great idea! We have hay for the goats, its amazing in a pinch what you can fix with the twine from the bales of hay! :lol:

Smart Red - I've heard two things about growing dandelions, they do best in poor soil and they do best in rich soil. Being on top of a hill where I've had to build soil in my beds and I brought the dandelions and the earthworms with me when I moved here and allowing dandelions to self sow where ever they want, I've come to one conclusion. They are the easiest plant to please. :)
I have several fertilizer rabbits too. LOL They are fun to spoil.
Bless your heart, I hope I never have to go any farther north than this, I'm not a fan of winter. Brrrrrr! LOL

Latest posts