MistyDM

Sprout
Reaction score
Hello all!
During all the craziness of 2020 and being home alot we've started a small garden and planted flowers. I never knew how much went in to taking care of a garden. It is keeping me very busy. Starting to see things finally coming in makes it worth all the work. I live in western ky. Looking forward to getting to know all my fellow garden peeps.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
welcome to TEG from mid-Michigan. :) yes, when things start coming in is when you at last get feelings of accomplishing something for food, but i also like to grow some flowers here or there so they can give a lift to the spirits along the way. :)

happy gardening!

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi there! Welcome from SE Missouri. Are you anywhere near Paducah? That's the main place I know in Western Ky.
The lockdown brought out some strange new hobbies for several of us, I would think.
Are you growing mostly flowers or have you started on vegetables, too? Either is a worthwhile past time. I have gardened for years with less and less satisfaction the last few years, due to the inordinate amount of bugs in my vegetable beds. I hated to spray constantly and still not get much to eat. I figured the wonderful heavy mulch I used was harboring bugs like crazy. And slugs and voles and no telling what else. So now I am gardening on bare ground. Fighting the weeds, but so far, not many bugs.
I hope you figure out what works best for you before you are as old as I am.

MistyDM

Sprout
Reaction score
Hi there! Welcome from SE Missouri. Are you anywhere near Paducah? That's the main place I know in Western Ky.
The lockdown brought out some strange new hobbies for several of us, I would think.
Are you growing mostly flowers or have you started on vegetables, too? Either is a worthwhile past time. I have gardened for years with less and less satisfaction the last few years, due to the inordinate amount of bugs in my vegetable beds. I hated to spray constantly and still not get much to eat. I figured the wonderful heavy mulch I used was harboring bugs like crazy. And slugs and voles and no telling what else. So now I am gardening on bare ground. Fighting the weeds, but so far, not many bugs.
I hope you figure out what works best for you before you are as old as I am.
I live in Grand Rivers so about 30 minutes from the mall area of Paducah.
I started a vegetable garden and planted some flowers up around the house. Now we have started a chicken coop. Not a prepper by any means but have a medically compromised child so I'm trying to grow as much as I can so I dont have to expose her unnecessarily. Things are finally coming in but I am learning I need several more plants of certain things because they aren't producing enough do to anything with....well other than eat them of course lol. I love to learn new things so I am going into this as an adventure instead of just another chore I have to do. With that mindset it has really helped when things move slow or bugs eat a plant. Its crazy how many different solutions are out there for any issues that arise. Hope you find your joy with gardening again.