Ninnymary's Flying Apple Tree

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Some of you may remember the gathering of some TEG members we had here last year. @ninnymary brought me a dwarf apple tree from her garden.
All the way from SF, CA 😍.
We potted it up in a muck bucket, and it spent the winter outdoors under the big fir tree.
Last week I put it in the ground in a flower bed next to the house. It's doing really well, and I may even get a few apples this year! Thanks Mary 😄.

20200606_100325.jpg

20200606_100430.jpg

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh my gosh was it a nightmare getting it to you! haha

My husband who is a perfectionist packed it so well that nothing was going to get in or out or squash it, haha. Afterwards he checks and realizes that the box is way to big for free luggage check in! The tree had already been trimmed to fit in the large box.

So my husband tells me to tell the check in people that it is the same size as his golf bag which he has shipped before for free with Southwest. Immediately the employee tells me it's too big and it will be $75! I tell him what my husband said. He says he has to check with someone else and leaves. In the meantime I'm sweating it out! I'm not a good liar at all.

He comes back and ask what's inside of it. I didn't want to say a tree so I said a sapling. He asks what is that. I told him, You know kind of like a branch this high (I show him with my hand about 3ft). He then goes to the person on the next station and talks to her. At this point I'm waving my husband to stick around cause I'm not about to pay $75 and I want him to take the tree back home.

Finally he comes back and says he'll let it pass! I profusely thanked him and the gal who approved it and told both of them I was going to pray for them and give my thanks. You bet I kept my word!

Mary

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
BTW, this is a dwarf Honeycrisp that I bought only because Steve says they are very good! haha. So I blame him! haha But it didn't do so well in the big pot I had it in and didn't have room in the ground for it. Thistle, had mentioned months ago that she liked Honeycrisp so there it went.

Mary

Latest posts