Nitrogen for corn ?

janetnjim

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
My corn stalks are startin to git yeller. My neighbor says i need a good source of nitrogen for it. Can anyone tell me what is a good source of nitrogen ?

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
chicken poo

34-0-0 fert

sheep poo

Has your corn already tassled? If so you are probably to late for nitro and you sure don't want to put it on if there are already ears.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I read somewhere on here that they need a shot of food right at tassling. Not so? If not, I'm in trouble, because I fed mine the other day and I'm starting to get ears now. So...no more fertilizer? :hu

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
No, youj put it on at exactly the right time. Now all you need to be doing in making sure that they are getting plenty of water. You want to add the nitro at that tassle start but not much after. You will know it was right because it will turn dark green and look like it grew a foot over night.

janetnjim

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Chicken poo, i gots plenty of :D
Mine hasn't composted completely yet tho. Is it safe to use some now or will it still be too hot ?
I was wonderin about mushroom poo also, mmmmmm, i don't think i've ever even seen a mushroom bumm :/ , anywho, is it safe to use some o' my chicken poo that is maybe a month er 3 old ?

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yes, it is time to fertilize.

I would use chicken poo that's as old as possible. I've had mixed results about using the fresher stuff so I try and stick with what's older.

Good luck!

ams3651

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
my dad used chicken manure on his fields, 900 acres. He gets it dried or fresh, doesnt matter. Puts it on when he tills and thats it.

Latest posts