No Risk Work Bees

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
You are so lucky! Heck, you might get a free jar if you are neighborly. But then again, if it's a business maybe not. You'll have to buy it. Hope it's just having the bees and processing the honey. I don't know if I'd want a lot of traffic going on.

Mary

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good News every which way! Sounds like a win-win. Be sure to plant lots of stuff bees like too! Here is a short list.
save the bees plants.jpg

lcertuche

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I love to buy local honey. It is suppose to be good for seasonal allergies.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I do too but why does it have to be twice the price of the Costco one?

Mary

There was a conversation on here somewhere about being careful where you buy honey. The honey sold in stores can be a certain large percent (50?) of corn syrup. And it doesn't have to say so on the label.:\

I just stopped and got a jar refilled from a local honey shop today. Cool store! They have a big observation hive on the back wall, and some old top bar hives they use as product display tables. One had been made from a log. The owner refilled my jar from a big vat of honey from their hives. It was a huckleberry blend from hives they keep up in the mountains.
My neighbor introduced me to the shop by giving me a jar of honey as a thank you gift along with a jar of their awesome skin ointment made from beeswax, almond oil, coconut oil, calendula, lavender and rosemary. Love that stuff! I am currently slathered in it and I smell divine, as P. Allen Smith would say. :D

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I do too but why does it have to be twice the price of the Costco one?

Mary
Most of the honey on store shelves is imported, largely from China. :ep
http://modernfarmer.com/2015/02/feds-seize-2-million-worth-illegal-chinese-honey/
http://americannutritionassociation.org/newsletter/honey-laundering-0

Also interesting to note is that honey should be sold by net weight, not by fluid volume. I paid $20 for a 3 lb. jar that I got my dad for Christmas. Cost of honey has been going up over the past few years, because of the high die off of honey bees and higher demand. It's going to depend on where you live though. We have a lot of diverse forage and rarely see drought and I don't think there has been as much hive loss in my area.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
They're not supposed to sell it mixed with corn syrup if it says "pure honey" and it should be pure. Look on the back label for the words "distributed by". That means they buy it from China in bulk and repackage it here. Should say something like "produced by _____ Farms, Some City, State, USA" if it is the real deal. Best just to buy from a local beekeeper and be sure.

Latest posts