North Korea

goosling52

Sprout
Reaction score
I am not political at all; but I did watch the news last night for the first time in months (who wants more sadness . . .that is all it is!) and a professor from a St. Louis University who was Korean, said this time he is worried. . .he thinks it could turn into something very tragic and horrific for all of us . . .I watched a CSI the other night, where they found an underground bunker than had been turned into a home underground, and I thought what a good thing to have at your disposal should something happen. . .I think its such a sin that these governments keep their citizens poor and under their complete control, when it they would just look at the flip side of the coin, healthy people are happy people and self sufficient people are even happier people . . .what a sad waste of human life, and this country is heading the same way.

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
seedcorn said:
But I do want a well supplied defensive military.
There is no such thing as a defensive military. Once that military is called into action do they simply defend...defend...defend again and again? No. Eventually they must go on the attack to end the aggression against which they are constantly defending. A military with only defensive weapons and no offensive capabilities will suffer utter defeat. And at what point do you stop appeasing and ignoring? When they are committing genocide and 11 million are dead?

Sticking our nose where is doesn't belong? Do we not defend our economic trade interests? What happens if we ignore N. Korea and they attack S. Korea? OK, we ignore that. Then they attack Japan. Hey, let's just ignore that too. After all, there is nothing we can do about it because our military is defensive. What happens then? Do we also ignore an attack on Guam? Hawaii? What happens to world trade when Japan has a N. Korean flag flying over Tokyo?

And something else, we were winning the Vietnam war. Liberal public opinion caused us to constantly reduce troop strength until we had no choice but to pull out. That war wasn't about $$$$$$. It was about stopping the spread of communism, as was the Korean war. Did we import a lot of oil from Vietnam? Korea? I don't think so. There was no money to be had. And as fate would have it, communism appearantly doesn't work. There is no longer a U.S.S.R. and no longer does a wall seperate East and West Germany.

seedcorn said:
So greedy ones will wave the "freedom" flag.
That's a stab at Republicans. Don't even deny it. That is straight out of the liberal democratic playbook.

BTW, FDR took us into WW2. He was a Democrat. The Korean war was UN sanctioned and entered into by Harry Truman, another Democrat. Let's see, Vietnam, LBJ, yet another Democrat. It seems that Democrats love getting us into wars, but only Republicans have the guts to finish them.

I have had a few Bud Lights this evening, so maybe I should do like Oldguy and wait to post this until tomorrow. But you know what? I'm not into appeasement and ignoring threats to my country no matter what I've been drinking. So, I'm posting it now.

OldGuy43

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
This is only a vague recollection, but a U.S. Army General was testifying before Congress over complaints about deaths during a "peacekeeping mission". In essence he said, "Do not send our troops somewhere to keep the peace and expect no one to die. That's not what we train them to do."

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ok, Monty, blame it on alcohol.... Alcohol just releases inhibitions, not alter opinions.

#1. LBJ did not start the Vietnam Nam war. Wrong president. Try reading history books.
#2. Since you are obviously drunk, defensive military is a mind set vs. offensive military. When you sober up, the difference can be explained.
#3. The money in war is not only oil. Huge profits in making war toys. And no one questions the cost......no war, no industry with unrestricted profits.
#4. WW2 was not started by FDR, that was a defensive war. Now general Patton-if history recorded it correctly-would have turned it into an offensive war with Russia--HUGE mistake!
#5. I'm old enough to understand the obvious from history, greed knows no party. When political prostitutes can't give us reasons to do what they want, they stir up our emotions. Emotions killed Jesus when facts showed he is the Son of God.

You want to question my loyalty, go ahead. Don't try to pigeon hole me as you know NOTHING about me or my family history! Now go sober up.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
OldGuy43 said:
This is only a vague recollection, but a U.S. Army General was testifying before Congress over complaints about deaths during a "peacekeeping mission". In essence he said, "Do not send our troops somewhere to keep the peace and expect no one to die. That's not what we train them to do."
Agree. Never understood why you send soldiers to war and then try and tie their hands. Either turn them loose or keep them home.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
OldGuy43 said:
Yeah SeedCorn, I have to agree with you about WWII. I always thought it was Nazi's and the Japanese.
Now we know better, it was FDR. History books need to be rewritten! :)

OldGuy43

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Ever watch the movie, Air Force One?

The dead remember our indifference; the dead remember our silence. I came here tonight to be congratulated. But today, when I visited the Red Cross camps, overwhelmed by the flood of refugees fleeing the horror of Kazhakstan, I realize I don't deserve to be congratulated. None of us do. The truth is we acted too late. Only when our own national security was threatened did we act. Radek's regime murdered over 200 000 men, women and children and we watched it on TV. We let it happen. People were being slaughtered for over a year and we issued economic sanctions and hid behind the rhetoric of diplomacy. How dare we? The dead remembered: real peace is not just the absence of conflict, it's the presence of justice. And tonight I come to you with a pledge to change Americ's policy. Never again will I allow our political self-interest to deter us from doing what we know to be morally right. Atrocity and terror are not political weapons, and to those who would use them, your day is over. We will never negotiate. We will no longer tolerate and we will no longer be afraid. It's your turn to be afraid.

Latest posts