Northern gardens

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Not my vegetable garden, and it's not been managed since late spring so it's wildly unkempt, but there are blooms and from a distance looks passable. ;)

View attachment 27781
I have the same size pine tree in my front yard. I love the tree especially now that I have projector xmas lights. As much as I love the tree I debate about taking it down, if it falls will take out most of my house.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have the same size pine tree in my front yard. I love the tree especially now that I have projector xmas lights. As much as I love the tree I debate about taking it down, if it falls will take out most of my house.

I've thought of that too...:\
If it was one of our Ponderosa pines I might be more concerned. I have heard the news accounts of them inexplicably keeling over on a calm day (but usually after a storm).
It's a douglas fir and helps keep the living room cool on hot days. Plus it's the only place to have a shade garden.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I like the location of your douglas fir Thistle. It seems to be in the right spot. Not too close to the house to give you foundation problems. It balances the house and I like the shade garden there too.

Mary

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thistle, your garden looks great! At least from this distance and angle. :p

I still can't get over the fact that some people have so much grass!

Mary

there are people with acres of lawn/grass. just down the road from us some friends have a lawn that is probably 5 acres. makes no sense to me to have to mow all that grass.

we started with fields that were eventually turned into gardens:
house_early_gis_thm.jpg

not much left now on this side of the big ditch. less if it were just me as so much of the weeding i have to do is from stuff carried in from the surrounding bits of lawn. i'd be happy to turn them into bean gardens or mulched areas with other things... not yet. someday perhaps...

just the brighter green colored bits in this picture are still grass (but even some of that has been reclaimed since this picture was taken):

Way_Up_2012_thm.jpg

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I guess I should ID the tree I kind of call all ever greens Christmas trees. On a beautiful sunny calm day there was a loud crash at work. A giant tree came down at work doing a lot of damage. No wind no rain no sign of disease. I did kind of luck out insurance gave me over $6,000 for damages

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
About 10 years ago now about 5 miles from Fresno, Cal . ... on our next door neighbor's property was a perfectly symetrical , and very healthy looking, 4foot diameter trunk, 300 year old Valley Oak. We average an annual rainfall of 7 " to 9 '' of annual winter rain. One Sunday morning about 10 am, in middle of August we heard a loud B O O M then a mushroom cloud over where that tree once stood. It jumped about 10 feet from where the roots anchored it into the ground and layed down in the middle of a 5 acre pasture . This tree was all hollowed out on the inside from dry rot with only about 4" of live wood on its perimeter.

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have been cutting down any potential hazard trees around our house the last couple years . So far no trouble only last winter a large cottonwood limb came down and nearly hit the chicken house. We took the tree down this spring so no more worries about it. I’m thinking of taking down a ponderosa pine by the house that is not leaning to awful bad but mostly it shading an apple tree.

Latest posts