Northern gardens

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow is that the sweet summer love that was the last one nursery had ? Your gardens look terrific love your tractor !!!!

Why thank you! Isn't that a great clem? I have another that I moved to the chicken pen arch this spring. It's doing well and blooming, but isn't as lush and full as the one by the entry. I'm real happy with them, thanks for telling me about them. :)

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
@thistlebloom your yard is gorgeous.....sez the Baymule thinking about her sand lot speckled with weeds.....and glad to the have the weeds so at least SOMETHING is growing.....

i can send you a few billion oxalis and purselane seeds... those things seem to survive anything. :) and that crimon clover seems to be doing really really well too in those pictures. wait for it to go to seed and then harvest and spread it around before your next rainy season. eventually it will improve. may have to fence it off from the critters for a while to get it going and then keep an eye on it to rotationally graze it to not reset it back to sand again... p.s. include some alfalfa for deep rooting and nutrient mining. i've been impressed by how well it has worked here even with the rather shallow water table we have at times. after a few years the roots were an inch or more across and it was pretty tough to remove/dig up. could be mowed a few times a growing season if i had time for it and it always was a good refuge plant for various good bugs. :)

Last edited:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Why thank you! Isn't that a great clem? I have another that I moved to the chicken pen arch this spring. It's doing well and blooming, but isn't as lush and full as the one by the entry. I'm real happy with them, thanks for telling me about them. :)

ours look so beat up this time of the year. we grow a lot of black spot carriers so they often pick it up and they die back somewhat for a while until the cooler fall weather returns.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
@ninnymary is a tough adopted southern girl. She won’t faint at the sight of a weed——or maybe she would as southerners are a gentile bunch-except for @baymule who names them, then processes them.
Awww...I am a gentle sort and I won't faint at the sight of weeds but I will do this :ep. Horrors of horrors, are those weeds to the right of your dog?

Mary

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
You have been holding out on us. Look at that beautiful garden! And not a weed in sight. I'm sure it makes you feel sooo good to look at it and your accomplishment.

What is the plant with the round leaves behind the black eyed Susan? Is it part of the pink flowering plant?

Mary

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm posting pics of my vegetable garden in spite of my ego.

View attachment 27840
Notice how the corns height get shorter as it goes left? I think that's because the maple trees are sucking everything up and shading them earlier than the ones on the right.

View attachment 27841

The ripe side of the NYer's.

View attachment 27842

What you see from the road. All of these perennials were out of a friends garden who was downsizing and simplifying her beds.
I just sort of picked out holes (with a pick) in that terrible soil last fall, crammed the plants in (that had been sitting on a tarp for two weeks waiting for me...:hide watered and dumped a bunch of old horse manure over it all. This spring everything came back. Yes, I was surprised too!

This is the third year for that hops vine taking over the fence.

View attachment 27843

The hops are starting to hop.
View attachment 27844

Looks great Thistle! I am now wondering why each year the end of my rows always are shorter than the other end and I was thinking the sprinkler was not hitting, but I made sure this year, but now I think the walnut trees may have roots running in that direction.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Horrors of horrors, are those weeds to the right of your dog?

Why yes Mary, those are genuine rural Idaho weeds. I can send you some for your scrapbook if you'd like. Oh wait, you're not talking about the yellow blooms are you? That's Moonbeam coreopsis...

My property is a weed sanctuary, so everything in front of the plow that looks all gnarly and ugly are weeds. That bed was carved out of ground that was knapweed and dandelion and every other type of weed. It gets mowed down by the walk behind weed whip so it's at least the same height.

What is the plant with the round leaves behind the black eyed Susan? Is it part of the pink flowering plant?

That is a smokebush trying real hard to get some light. The pink blooms are beebalm.