Not Adaptable

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Somewhat.

But, I don't remember ever feeling compelled to spray them for mildew.

We had a big invasion of aphids in the deciduous trees, this year. The aphids spread sticky "honeydew" on some of the roses. Those things are susceptible to mildew and it looked to me that the aphid conditions contributed to it. Yuck!

I got my climber sprayed in time that it was pink instead of grey through its bloom season.

digitS'

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have 2 roses planted 4 ft. apart. Both were the same variety. One did poorly, the other did not. Who knows?

Mary

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Do aphids cause powdery mildew?

some do. but as a fungal disease and it being very common i wouldn't place the whole blame on aphids. mainly because i see it on the normal plants around here and we're not usually aphid infested.

of course it never hurts to have aphid eaters in your ecosystem anyways. :)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Me: :hu, @AMKuska

The aphids were abundant in a nearby tree creating a very sticky environment for the climbing rose. It looked like a baaad environment. The mildew was worse than in recent years on that rose.

digitS'

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have lots of aphids. I'll go grab some predators and release them. Maybe that will help!

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Do aphids cause powdery mildew?
I grow peppers under cover for seed, and sometimes aphids - due to their small size - penetrate the cover. Protected from predators, they multiply very quickly. If I wait too long to open the cover, their secretions will cause black mildew on the surface of leaves & peppers. Once I open the cover, predators will quickly wipe out the aphids... but the mildew remains, and will continue to stunt the plants to varying degrees. It is very difficult to remove, so prevention is the best cure; I watch the caged peppers very carefully, and will open them if the aphids become excessive.

Aphid predators are abundant in my area, and generally all that I need to do for aphids is exercise patience, and let nature take its course. Only occasionally do aphids get out of control, usually due to ants farming them & spreading them from plant to plant. One of my soybeans this year was becoming severely infested, due to the close proximity of an ant nest just outside the garden. The plants were beginning to show signs of stunting, so I poisoned the ant nest, and after examining the plants for any predators, sprayed the heaviest aphid population with Safers insecticidal soap. A few days later, the predators appeared - ladybugs, lacewings, and yellow jackets. The plants are now nearly aphid free (with ladybug larvae everywhere) and have resumed normal growth.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Zeedman referencing his soybeans makes me a little uncomfortable.

Several years ago, Zeedman kindly shared a number of varieties of beans with me. This is not an area where soybeans are grown commercially but several grew and produced.

That was in sandy soil in a garden that I only had for a few years. I was so impressed with how the soybeans did and thoroughly enjoyed my first experience with edamame.

Then, I tried growing them in my big veggie garden. It was nearly a complete failure, two years running. I'd like to think that I can get back to edamame but think that the rocky soil will prevent me from doing so.

Steve

Latest posts