Not exactly for the garden...

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Stubbornhillfarm said:
momofdrew said:
SHF did you go to the same class as I did about raising chickens????
If what I said sounded familliar, then I would say, "Yes!" :D I certainly didn't come up with all of that knowledge on my own. hahaha! Of course, now I want to know who you were. That's just where my brain goes!! :D We are getting our meaties and turkeys in two weeks.

I am really sorry vfem that you lost one of your hens. I would say the same as others, that I doesn't appear to be anything you could have avoided. They do grow so fast. That unfortunatly is one of the downfalls of the modern meatie. I hope that the rest of them live out their days as planned. I must say they look good. In fact...they look better then my laying hens with their naked backs from our roo.
I went to a Blue Seal forum at the American leagion post in Rochester NH... the speaker was from Barrington NH of the Yellow House Farm...cant remember his name...

I have a friend who lives in Shapligh...on Bond Mountain Road...Last name is Bond...of Bond Tree FArm... are you anywhere near there???

Stubbornhillfarm

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
momofdrew said:
Stubbornhillfarm said:
momofdrew said:
SHF did you go to the same class as I did about raising chickens????
If what I said sounded familliar, then I would say, "Yes!" :D I certainly didn't come up with all of that knowledge on my own. hahaha! Of course, now I want to know who you were. That's just where my brain goes!! :D We are getting our meaties and turkeys in two weeks.

I am really sorry vfem that you lost one of your hens. I would say the same as others, that I doesn't appear to be anything you could have avoided. They do grow so fast. That unfortunatly is one of the downfalls of the modern meatie. I hope that the rest of them live out their days as planned. I must say they look good. In fact...they look better then my laying hens with their naked backs from our roo.
I went to a Blue Seal forum at the American leagion post in Rochester NH... the speaker was from Barrington NH of the Yellow House Farm...cant remember his name...

I have a friend who lives in Shapligh...on Bond Mountain Road...Last name is Bond...of Bond Tree FArm... are you anywhere near there???
Yes same class. My hubby and I were the two reheads sitting up towards the front right if that helps. Normally if I say we were the two redheads, people remember. And just to clarify...No, we are only related by marriage! :lol: As the crow flies...not too far from Bond Tree Farm. But "you can't get there from here" so about 10-15 minutes away.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
My fat little butterballs!!!!

:D

5842_05_29_2012_011.jpg

HotPepperQueen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I raise meat birds and we butchered our last ones at 9 weeks because we wanted them just a little bit bigger. They have the worst smelling poop ever! Theirs is a lot more acidic it seems like- very sour smelling. It will be interesting to see how they do being raised by a broody

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
HotPepperQueen said:
I raise meat birds and we butchered our last ones at 9 weeks because we wanted them just a little bit bigger. They have the worst smelling poop ever! Theirs is a lot more acidic it seems like- very sour smelling. It will be interesting to see how they do being raised by a broody
I was having the same issue, and I switched them to the fermented feed everyone on BYC was talking about and now their poo is completely normal. Their digestion has been great, and they've increased what they've been eating and stopped drinking so much water. Very active and very happy! I have to say I'm happy with the fermented feed.

Stubbornhillfarm

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
vfem said:
HotPepperQueen said:
I was having the same issue, and I switched them to the fermented feed everyone on BYC was talking about and now their poo is completely normal. Their digestion has been great, and they've increased what they've been eating and stopped drinking so much water. Very active and very happy! I have to say I'm happy with the fermented feed.
I just picked up our meat bird chicks at the post office this morning (25) I think I am going to investigate again into the fermented feed. I had read some on those posts at BYC. Now that you say it has really made a difference, I may really....investigate. Thanks for the push forward!~

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Ok, I weighed these little bums and not impressed!!! 2 are just over 3.5 lbs and the other 2 are just at 5 lbs. I was wondering if I should feed them anything special to 'finish' them like they do with pigs and stuff.... or just keep feeding until they hit a weight I like. I was going to process next week, but not if they are this short on weight. Maybe the weekend after?