Note to burgled self: write down serial #s

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
elf said:
Thanks...It helps to vent, somehow. Now, this same week, it seems I've become a victim of a bogus collection agency/fake law firm! They claim I'm going to court for fraud for borrowing $2000 and not paying (NEVER!) They've called and scared my husband, then left message. They sound legit. on phone, but their info. is different each time and the phone numbers aren't the same. Anyway, when I goggled the #, people assure me they're not licensed/legit/legal, so I'll not return their call. Problem is folks say they continue to harrass, calling folks' mothers & bosses, telling them you're going to jail and cursing. Just wait till they call when I'm home!!Guess I will TRY to refrain from cursing, so they don't record it and use it against me, although I don't think they'd dare. Think I'll first have fun with some 100 questions and some classic Southern "Come to Jesus"proselytizing;It's not to late to turn your life around. I can't help it, but sometimes bad things happen to people who really do me wrong. Once it was kidneystones (my ex-boss), once a guy's mother died (insurance agent who harrassed me after a wreck), once a young guy dropped dead jogging (I'd been wishing his co. would fire him and hire someone ethical) (For real, BTW.)Guess that could still be seen as a threat so best not. HOWEVER, I've been under tremendous stress for three yrs. now, so there's no telling what I might say. Sometimes I have to scream like a banshee when things build up, and I may just step outside and let off some steam. Will it break the phone if the decibel is too loud?
Oooooooooh, I LOVE those people!!! My husband has a good damn laugh when they've called to come collect from me. :D In fact, I am the only one I know who a collection person got so frustrated with they hung up on me, and NEVER called me back. :) I convinced one guy he was an embarrassment to his mama, and he finally starting cussing at me and hung up. Yet, just so you know.... there was no cussing, no name calling.... I just purely frustrated the people to death.

Which reminds me, I need to check my free credit report for this year. I know all but 1 bad bill is over 7 years old and needs to be cleared off. :p

And seriously, if you want to get all legal and sue them and press charges and their info is bogus, I learned how to catch them and turn them over. Simple.... act scared, negotiate, lets them make all the calls... then ask if they will take an account transfer or where to send a money order. They will give you a REAL account with real ties to people, and / or a REAL address for the money order. Then contact a lawyer, give them the fake phone #'s, a recording or hand written script of what was said, and the account or address for payment. They will track the real people and file real charges. If I can find the online 'how to' article I read I'll post it for ya. I think it was a 20/20 episode too.

elf

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Thanks . I think I like the frustrating/shaming/boring them to death option, with some creapy crazy lady effects - let's see if I can remember what the mother was like on the movie, "Carrie". Maybe I'll watch it to refresh my memory of the role. I will make it my entertainment/ therapy for the day that they call.

dragonlaurel

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Sorry about your stolen stuff. That's a pain in the rear.
I came across this article on rural crime. Seems the bad guys noticed that there are less witnesses when you rob somebody that lives further from their neighbors. There's some handy safety and theft prevention tips in it.

http://www.salinecounty.org/sheriff_rural_crime.htm

elf

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Thanks. This reminded me to get an engraver from Lowes. My husband's been wanting a puppy for a long time, so we're checking the pound. He thinks a female because he says they don't roam as much. Anyone know?And he says we should start with a puppy because a grown dog will kill chickens. I know nothing about raising dogs, but I guess I'll learn. Might help with the garden, too.

dragonlaurel

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Female dogs can still wander if they haven't been fixed. Teenage hormones of the animal world are just as distracting as they are in young humans.
Get the pounds advice about which animals would be good protectors for a farm. If you have livestock, that could matter. Some people have one dog protecting the house and family inside, and another that lives outdoors and may sleep in a cozy spot in the barn. That one is trained to be nice to the family, but is primarily to keep the livestock and the property safe.
I don't know much about where you live- so just ignore anything that doesn't apply well in your situation.

elf

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Yes, the pound gets them fixed before adoption. It will be outside but with a doghouse and barn shed available. Unfortunately can't fence front and one unfenced side yet but side has heavy thick woods, and the house is way off the road. We have 10 acres and low traffic. Anyone have recommended breeds to look for in a medium size prob. mix breed dog. We just have chickens, cats, plants.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
If it helps, I grew up with a dog, and have almost always OWNED a dog. Right now, I own two dogs, both about 3 years old. I recommended two things: Herding dogs (and mixes) make both good watchdogs and good family dogs, and, I keep my dogs inside because me and my family are the most important things I own. Just some food-for-thought, since we're on a food site!! :lol: