Notes from a thread about weeds, weeding machines and bumblebees

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
from this thread:

but while going through that thread i found the link to the Oregon State Horiculture Weed Id no longer there so i was wondering if they had another place they'd moved it to and came across the following instead:

and then of course i'm reading along the subject list and pop across this one, yep i gotta check it out:

$20/hr for hoeing? eek!

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
This is what we call "Curly Dock." I have it on my property bc it spreads through agricultural fields. Lots of seeds that get brought in by the cats. My best eradication is to use a reciprocating saw, unless it is 1st year and small which can be dug out by the roots, OR, continuously mow it down. It burns very well.
1656627626187.png

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Did you notice that ..

. both the links now take you to weed ID webpages?

In 2021, they didn't and in 2022, they are back up!

So, there are 4 links to weed ID sites on that thread plus, @meadow 's resurrected OSU page ;).

Steve
who had 2 giant nipplewort weeds from out of the foxgloves for the garbage truck this week.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
This is what we call "Curly Dock." I have it on my property bc it spreads through agricultural fields. Lots of seeds that get brought in by the cats. My best eradication is to use a reciprocating saw, unless it is 1st year and small which can be dug out by the roots, OR, continuously mow it down. It burns very well.
View attachment 49986

yeah, that one can be tough to dig up. those tap roots go down there! :)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, I must have been tired when I first looked at that thread referenced in your 1st post. No, not all of those links are still or once again viable.

Nipplewort was not really found on any :D. However,

LINK
It says something about growing well in moist & shaded area. So do foxgloves and they are on the northside of the "sunshed" when the June rain runs off the roof.

Steve
who spent the morning in the distant garden and the afternoon running errands and chasing sprinklers around the yard ...