Now What?!?!

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Our apple trees are looking pretty bad. I have sprayed and sprayed and sprayed and now my trees look very bad. I have followed very closely the instructions for the fruit tree spray I used. Once in February with dormant oil, once in April, May, and June with fruit tree spray that contains Captan. The apples were looking pretty good until about a month ago and now I'm afraid there will be no harvest this year. Bummer. I first noticed a few yellow spots on the leaves about 3 weeks ago and now the leaves are completely covered with the spots. Oh yeah, I also sprayed with sulfur when I first noticed the spots. The sulfur would be for bugs but the leaf spots look like a disease. Any ideas out there?

20160707_143225.jpg 20160707_143225.jpg 20160707_143236.jpg

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I see a beetle in one of the pics. I think it is probably beetle damage. In numbers, they can really do a number on your fruit trees. I am seeing a lot of June-bugs in our fruit trees right now. Go out at night with a flashlight and see how many there are.

Good for you keeping up with your spraying regimen. I need to be more faithful. As it is, I am finding that you can't get anything out of most fruit trees around here without it.

ETA... Cedar apple rust pics look spot on actually. http://hort.uwex.edu/articles/cedar-apple-rust/ I think the beetles need dealt with too though. What do you think?
CedarAppleRust_apple.png

Last edited:

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@Nyboy - yep, it looks like apple cedar rust but all the apples are falling off.

@journey11 - thanks. I read the article and it looks like maybe my apple harvest is doomed for this year. I guess this is really, really, really the school of hard knocks.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sorry I had a tree full of peaches the branches where bending. I could not wait till they where ripe. Went to pick 1 whole tree was stripped not 1 peach left.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
yup thats apple cedar rust. either you or somebody near by has eastern red cedars.
red cedars
DSC_0022.JPG

if you have the cedars look for this, that is a old spore pod for the rust
DSC_0023.JPG

this is what the rust looks like in full bloom in spring......
20080502015617!Cedar-apple_rust_2.jpg

no cure for cedar rust except removing the cedars, and still the leaves of the apple tree can still be a host for the rust for years.
have to break the cycle some how.. it took years but my lonely pippin tree does not have it anymore, but since i do not keep up on it, it's there just for the deer to eat...

Latest posts