Now What?!?!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
If the cedar trees are someone else's and you can't be rid of them, there are a few apple varieties that carry resistance. On my phone right now and can't figure out how to paste a link, but you can find a list by googling. I am in the same boat, having a terrible time with fireblight and rust too. Lost 2 mature apple trees to fireblight last year and a young apple and a mature peach tree (suspect it was fb) to it this year. Pruning it out failed, entire tree was infected. Gonna be buying fruit by the bushel for years to come as I start over with resistant varieties. :(

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
@journey11 my only suggestion is call the county ex and ask them for their recommendations since each zone has their own sub zone.
dont believe everything those glossy page catalogs say .....

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
@journey11 my only suggestion is call the county ex and ask them for their recommendations since each zone has their own sub zone.
dont believe everything those glossy page catalogs say .....

Yeah, I've seen a few mentions in catalogs. I did find a pretty good sized list on an extension website today, Michigan I think it was. I was going to link it, but can't get my phone to copy the web address. There were a few I hadn't heard of before on there. I think it was @Smart Red who has a couple good, productive, resistant apple trees. Maybe she can chime in and tell us which ones they are.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I planted 3 trees of 3 varieties labeled rust resistant Liberty, gold rush forgot 3rd. Out of the 9 trees I lost a few to drought. I have a Christmas tree farm right across the road from me. Between slow draining clay and apple cedar rust I am hoping for 1 variety to hold up. Fingers crossed

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Journey, my last Little Cado (dwarf avocado tree) got blight so bad and I took it out. I planted another one and yesterday I found blight on one of it's branches. I immediately cut it off. What causes blight and is there anything that can be done other than cutting it off 12 inches away and hope for the best?

Mary

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Never asked I believe cedar branches is used in swags like for over fireplace mantle for smell. To me any conifer green year round is lumped under name Christmas tree.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I did check apple trees none looked good drought. But another variety of pear had 4 fruit this one named moonglow. So far even in middle apple country, pear trees do much better for me.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Journey, my last Little Cado (dwarf avocado tree) got blight so bad and I took it out. I planted another one and yesterday I found blight on one of it's branches. I immediately cut it off. What causes blight and is there anything that can be done other than cutting it off 12 inches away and hope for the best?

Mary

I think they have something you can spray them with to try to prevent it. Over pruning or pruning at the wrong time (when not fully dormant) makes lots of new growth and new growth is more susceptible. Bees can carry the bacteria from bloom to bloom too, and that's the part you can't help because otherwise they'll not get pollinated. I have two young pear trees that haven't gotten it yet because a late freeze has knocked the blooms off past couple of years. Neighbors (and bees will travel up to 6 miles) who have a badly infected tree or wild apples or crabapple trees that have it will spread it. I'm at the point now I think I will stop pruning! :(

We've had a bad time of it since the last four years have been very wet. The bacteria is very active under wet conditions. My dad has a 20+ year old apple tree on the farm that got it, never had it in the past.

Latest posts