October Crazy-Hip Replacement

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Lard and Cracklins, If we ever doubted it before, here is proof you are indeed from the south. LOL
The South of the US does NOT have a monopoly of lard and cracklins.... We , that hail from the far North of Europe prepare almost every meal with lard. We ate cracklins until we couldn't eat anymore every time my grandmother or mother rendered pig fat. :drool Now, I render pig fat down after I butcher a young pig . :drool:celebrate

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I pour off the melted fat until It gets down to the almost cracklins. When I finish off the cracklins, the lard from that has a cracklin taste to it and I pour that off and keep it separate.

I love cracklins with melted sharp cheddar on it. Yum!

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
I pour off the melted fat until It gets down to the almost cracklins. When I finish off the cracklins, the lard from that has a cracklin taste to it and I pour that off and keep it separate.

I love cracklins with melted sharp cheddar on it. Yum!
well o.k. if you put cheese on anything I will eat it ! ;)

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yesterday I rendered the rest of the pig fat. I got a total of 13 quarts of lard, plus 2 quarts of lard from cooking down the cracklins. That lard tastes like cracklins, so I sure don't use it for pie crust! The dogs love it and lick their pans clean. It is an all day long process and I make a huge mess. I rendered lard in 2018 and it lasted 2 years, so I have another 2 year supply.

The packages of fat were taking up a lot of room, so they had to get rendered. I also had several bags of chicken parts and bones that I canned with rice for dog food and made broth for us from the bones. I did that day before yesterday. Today I am NOT canning anything! I have 26 Cornish Cross chickens that I need to slaughter and I need the freezer room.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's how I made freezer room to butcher chickens or some other things. Make broth from frozen carcasses, sauce from frozen tomatoes, jams and jellies from frozen berries, or soup from frozen everything. Or cooking frozen bags of tomatoes down to a liquid or berries to a liquid and re-freeze, they take a lot less room cooked down.

You might consider canning soup when you're up to it. Think about it. After one of those days where you just don't feel like cooking and there is only the two of you open a quart of veggie soup, add in some left over meat and heat it up. Grab some cheese and crackers. A quick easy meal with darn few dishes to clean up.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
. That lard tastes like cracklins, so I sure don't use it for pie crust! The dogs love it and lick their pans clean. It is an all day long process and I make a huge mess. I rendered lard in 2018 and it lasted 2 years, so I have another 2 year supply.

That may explain why I have never had a lard pie crust I liked. :confused:

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
That may explain why I have never had a lard pie crust I liked. :confused:
I pour off the melted fat as it melts until there isn’t much to pour off. I strain it, it is practically tasteless. Then I put the cooked down fat in iron skillets and finish cooking it down to brown crunchy bits. THAT lard tastes not so great.

Bay, how is BJ coming along?

Mary

He has one more therapist visit this week and two more next week. He uses a walker, can use a cane a little during the day. He’s walking without a limp unless he pushes himself too hard. His good health and fitness is going a long way on his recovery.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I pour off the melted fat as it melts until there isn’t much to pour off. I strain it, it is practically tasteless. Then I put the cooked down fat in iron skillets and finish cooking it down to brown crunchy bits. THAT lard tastes not so great.

He has one more therapist visit this week and two more next week. He uses a walker, can use a cane a little during the day. He’s walking without a limp unless he pushes himself too hard. His good health and fitness is going a long way on his recovery.

good to hear! just let him know that Elvis has still left the building for a while...

Latest posts