Odd chicken behavior!

RickF

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
So, our set of 4 month and a half old pullets (lohmann browns) are living in their composting coop/run.. They seem to enjoy it but behave like little school kids much of the day.. They frequently spend most of the mornings in the coop -- NOT the run.. playing in the nesting boxes.. If you go in an peek at them they will occasional jump like you scared the crap out of them or as if you caught them doing something they were not supposed to be doing -- like kids! It's really funny to see.. Other times I will peek in and they will all come running to see what I've got (nothing usually) -- if I am filling the water bowl or feeder they may all come running down the walkway to the ground to see what 'dad' is doing.. They're an interesting bunch! They've also got a very interesting set of colors.. I'll post a pic once I get one..

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
sounds like they could be close to laying eggs if they're acting a little scatterbrained and seem to be searching for something! it's a usual sign they are looking for a good nesting spot/box.

chickens are good, cheep entertainment though. :lol: i especially love when they go broody and start teaching the chicks that you are a 'safe' thing! my moma bird has been hopping up to my lap and shoulder and the chicks have been trying to follow her now that they have their wing feathers in. they allow me to pick them up and come running to me when i have treats and moma tells them it is all good! the cute thing is all my birds have different personalities, and some actually 'giggle' or 'laugh'. my faverolles seem to do this, especially my boy Zeus who is now a grandpa!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mine have done that too, checking out the nest boxes prior to getting down to business. Surely you will have eggs very soon! I have not heard of a Lohmann brown. Can't wait to see your pic.

desertlady

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
My chickies knows when I am cooking, or they can hear me putting my shoes on, the run and fight at the gate to see whos first to get their treats !!!!

RickF

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hmm.. I hope they're not ready yet for laying -- otherwise I'll be getting some small eggs! :)

I'm estimating that the birds are 1/2 to 2/3rds grown -- I can still easily hold them with one hand.. Lohmann Browns are supposed to be exceptional layers and start early compared to some other breeds.. I also heard that they're self fertile but don't believe that rumor. :hide

I'll see if I can snap some pics tonight -- unfortunately I am working long days so I usually get home at dusk or later..

cmom

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
RickF said:
Hmm.. I hope they're not ready yet for laying -- otherwise I'll be getting some small eggs! :)

I'm estimating that the birds are 1/2 to 2/3rds grown -- I can still easily hold them with one hand.. Lohmann Browns are supposed to be exceptional layers and start early compared to some other breeds..
I also heard that they're self fertile but don't believe that rumor.. :hide I wish that were true but have never hatched any eggs without a rooster.

I'll see if I can snap some pics tonight -- unfortunately I am working long days so I usually get home at dusk or later..

MuranoFarms

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Just re-read the OP. I thought it was 4 and half months old....not 4, month and a half olds. Lol
I change my answer! :lol: they're just being curious and checking things out. They sound cute! We need pics!

Latest posts