Of Little Interest to the Guys Here

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ladies, I was just wondering how important your hairstyle is to you. Have you had the same style for years and years, or do you change the cut and color regularly? I think we are pretty vain about hair, or lack thereof. At least, I think I have been. And my mother drilled it in my head that women "of a certain age" didn't wear long hair. I guess that "rule" is out the window now. I hadn't let my hair grow long in about 20 years, but I just decided a while back to let it grow and see what happens. (Mom's not here to tell me I can't, lol) So now it is long enough to pull back in a low pony tail, and I feel like I have been set free. No worrying about flat head, or hair in my eyes, or wind blowing. Probably doesn't look very good, but sure feels good. Kind of severe, but it's sort of like going out in public without make-up for the first time. You see the real me. No artifice. No cover up.
What's next? Hmm. Maybe I'll shave my head. Now that would be liberating.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've sort of had the same style jfor years just different lengths of it. It's sort of layered. I've never had bangs before. It looks really good after a haircut and the gal styles it. On those days I tell my husband that he has to take me out to dinner. :D Don't want to waste my looking so good you know. ;) My hair is past shoulder length and I would probably have shorter hair but my husband prefers it long (like most men).

Unfortunately the rest of the time it's usually in a pony tail. I'm always working out and now I've starting sleeping with a very loose one. I love how my hair isn't in my face with all the tossing and turning. I used to wear it down when I'm working but now I do the pony tail. The last time I was in for a haircut, I had my stylist cut a few bangs that I wear to the side. I like how it really soften up that severe pony tail look. I find that it helps to also wear earrings.

As far as makeup goes, I still won't go out in public without it. During the week I wear lipstick when parents are dropping and picking up their kids. I wear tinted lip gloss when I go to the gym. I feel I look really pale and the lipstick/lipgloss helps a lot. On weekends I always have light makeup on. I once stopped dying my hair for a year and couldn't get used to how it aged me so I'm back to dying it myself.

Mary

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
When my wife was in grade school and through Jr. High, her very dence hair was below her waist . In High School she cut it to shoulder leangth as she was a cheer leader ( high School and College) since her long hair in pig tails interfeared a lot. After College, when I met her she asked me how I liked her hair to be. I responded fairly short, so she had her hair cut very short in the back, bangs and styled on top since her very dence hair made her neck sweat too much in the summer heat. Her natural hair was very light tan / blondish and very light skin so she uses makeup more to prevent sunburn , not because she needs it as she is naturally very attractive, but when she had that first short haircut she also became a knockout blonde. She then always had her hair cut very short in the same style as she LIKES it cut short every 4-5 weeks. :thumbsup

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
With short hair you do have to cut it on a regular basis. I'm lucky I can go 2 months between haircuts. I do have to dye it every 4-5 weeks though. I don't like roots to show.

Mary

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Aaauugh...Long hair....I tried in high school for 4 Looonng years and it only grew slightly past my shoulders. I permed it alot up until maybe the early 90's when perms were not popular. Since I have thin baby fine oily hair, the perms helped.

Now I'd rather get a short cut. But DH loves long hair and so I try to keep it just a couple inches below my ears. (not really long). Oh and I have it highlighted with bleach to try to dry it out and go every other day washing it. You'd think at my age, I'd start to dry up but nope. Oily hair and oily skin.

Oh, when we moved up here in 2009, I stopped wearing makeup. Why bother when I don't see anyone? Or when the dripping sweat just makes rivulets in it.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have a male friend, well in his 70s dyes his hair jet black, the most foolish look he could have. But I guess it makes him feel young. I dyed my hair in high school, but it was purple. Going for the punk rock look. I am very grey now, my stylist has brought up coloring,I tell her I am happy to have hair don't care what color it is ( my brother bald) Most of the year I get it cut short every 3 weeks, winter I grow it longer, never long. What I really love about my stylist is everytime I am there she shapes my eyebrows and waxes my nose. I started growing hair on the outside of my nose in middle age.

Last edited:

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
My hair is snowy white and has been since age 34. I started coloring NY hair at 27, it looked frosted with the gray. I kept it brunette for many years, then took a wild hair and dyed it red. I cut it in a crazy shag and almost never brushed it. I washed it, rubbed it with a towel and that was all.

I had long hair until age 31. I cut it and kept it in that wild shag for years.

About 4 years ago I decided I was tired of coloring my hair. Growing it out was awful. I wanted to shave my head. I got it cut real short, it still had red tips. I kept cutting it until it all grew out. Now I'm growing it out, it's past my shoulders. If I'm going yo be a white haired old lady, it won't be with one of those football helmet hairdos.

My hair is long, white and I'm gonna grow it to my butt.

Latest posts